color matching - yellow?

Old 08-05-05, 10:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
color matching - yellow?

Ok - I want to use sherwin williams 6901 - Daffodil, on the outside of my house. Sherwin Williams is telling me that #1 it's an interior color only because #2 it'll fade quickly outside.

What can I do about this? Can I use an ICI color, or Bennie Moore color - color matched to the SW 6901? Will I still have the fading problem?

Or should I just select a different color?

What's so darn special about this yellow that it fades?

Old 08-09-05, 10:21 AM
how bizarre! i see yellow houses all the time! that makes no sense.

i don't know the answer, but i'd take that color sample to another paint store & get a different brand tinted to that color.

Old 08-09-05, 10:36 AM
yeah, i'm in amazement over it. i called two SW stores - they both agreed that *this* color of yellow would fade, but other colors wouldn't. I think I'll try ICI - they do most any shade. Can someone report on the quality of ICI versus SW paint?

Old 08-09-05, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Certain shades of the primarys, red, blue, and yellow, will fade in sunlight. Usually its the darker or bolder tones of the color.
Its a chemical thing, no matter what product or brand (that I know of), it will continue to fade.

Old 08-09-05, 12:07 PM
i went to SW's website and looked up "Daffodil". that's a pretty bright yellow. and it'll be even brighter when it's all over your house. were you going for "bright"?

what about something softer but still very much yellow & sunny, but more subtle, like "Butter Up"? i loved it and it's an exterior color.

even creamy colors that are just on the yellow side appear quite yellow. yellow is a color to be selected with care. ask the folks down the street from me with the [practically] ORANGE house!!! i'm sure they were going for 'sunny yellow'!

Old 08-09-05, 12:19 PM
I am going for a bright color, sunny might be too dull . Thanks for the recommendation & info. I think I'll select a couple of other colors & try them on the house before I decide. Good to know that neither I, nor SW are crazy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: