Spray paint contains lead, what should I do?

Old 08-11-05, 02:19 PM
leadleadlead
Visiting Guest
Spray paint contains lead, what should I do?

I spray painted something (wood) in my house, it was too big to remove and taking it apart was not an option. The spray paint contains lead. What should I do now?

Will vacuuming the carpet be of any use? I am going to scrub the walls with soap/water and clean everything that is laying around. I am not sure what to do about the carpet. I can not remove it and get a new one.

Also, why does spray paint still contain lead? It's an all-purpose paint. I didn't read it until it was too late.

What should I do with the wooden item I painted? Should I put anything over it? I am afraid that it will leak lead gradually.

Old 08-11-05, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What brand/product did you use that contains lead?

Old 08-11-05, 04:28 PM
leadleadlead
Visiting Guest
America's Finest (By Rust-Oleum) All-Purpose Interior/Exterior, Black gloss spray paint.

I got it at Home Depot.

Old 08-11-05, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rust-Oleum Brands has a toll free phone number that you can call for lead concerns. I would speak to them personally for their comments on this. As of sometime in the 1970's lead paint was banned from production due to health concerns. If this paint you purchased does indeed contain lead and could possibly pose a health problem you have the right to know. I have not seen a lead containing paint for sale at any store,shop,or anywhere else. Call the toll free number M-F 8am-5pm CST and question them about this. Keep the can as they will need the specific numbers from the can.

Rust-Oleum toll free number 1-800-323-3584

I checked all the online MSDS sheets Rust-Oleum has posted for various products and did not find one that said it contained lead in any form. The product you specified was not listed.

Good luck and reply back with their answers if you would.

Old 08-11-05, 05:14 PM
leadleadlead
Visiting Guest
Alright, it's too late to call them, I will do so tomorrow. What should I do about my carpet/walls? I am going to scrub the walls with warm water and soap, is that enough? I am also going to vacuum the carpet.

I am worried about my cat (locked her in the bathroom for now) and about myself (I am 19.)

The thing I painted is custom made and I can not make it again, What should I do with it? I am afraid that it will gradually leak lead into the air/carpet.

Old 08-11-05, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The lead does not leak into the air as it would if it were a vapor. Its when you eat it that it becomes a problem. You should not be in any danger overnight. I doubt that the paint you purchased will pose any health problems unless you have a reaction from breathing the fumes. In this case fresh air will usually suffice. If you develop breathing problems seek medical attention.
I would not get overly upset tonight as it will only cause you to loose sleep and make yourself unnecessarily ill. If you are concerned anout absorbing the possible lead into your feet, wear socks when walking on the area or cover it with a plastic protector.The plastic will keep it off the cats feet also.

You do not want to scrub the walls at this time. Wait until you contact the manufacturer for further information.
Good luck

Old 08-11-05, 07:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Are you sure you read the label correctly? The only mention of lead I have seen on any paint label [in the last 10-15 yrs] states that sanding of old paint might possibly release lead dust. Also the biggest danger of lead posioning is with repeated exposures.

Old 08-12-05, 06:02 AM
leadleadlead
Visiting Guest
I called them and they said it contains no lead. I also can not find the product anywhere online. But now that they told me it does nto contain lead, I feel fine. Thanks for the replies, all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: