outdoor pots faux?

Old 08-11-05, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outdoor pots faux?

I have some outdoor pots I paid good money for mostly because they are decorative. The have a rustic appearance. I think but I'm not sure but it is some type of faux paint or something over the terra cotta clay. Point is, the finish is flaking off and at the same time pissing me off. I am trying to determine what it is that was put on the pots in the first place so I can repaint them. Any ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 09:26 AM
Have you tried to contact the place you bought them from, or is that out of the question?

Old 08-12-05, 01:32 PM
Without a picture, it would be impossible to determine what type of finish is on you pots. You should probably contact the dealer or mfg. There are multiple finishes put on outdoor pots--some last longer than others and the top coat can make all the difference. For instance, my personal favorite, long last finish is using gel stain--simple and permanent. However, I have several pots purchased and made that I've used multiple other finishes on. You may be able to repair the pots, but w/o more information I don't think anyone can give you a how-to tutorial.

Old 08-20-05, 08:20 PM
I talked with the place where I had bought them. The salesman tells me that these particular pots are not for outdoor use. This is even while the pots are sold in a landscaping place, and are displayed outside. He says if you want a pot that doesn't erode, you must buy the fired glazed pots. Thanks for your reply. Maybe I'll try the gel stain you used. Do you get that at a place like "Home Depot"?