Exterior Paint Brands - Ben Moore vs. Glidden?

Old 08-12-05, 07:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Paint Brands - Ben Moore vs. Glidden?

I need to repaint the exterior of my 100+ year old house, but I need help selecting a paint brand. Consumer Reports gave high marks to Glidden Endurance Exterior paint, but I have never worked with this paint. I have used Benjamin Moore paint previously but only for interior painting (and was pleased with the quality and result). Consumer Reports did not rank Benjamin Moore as well as Glidden. Does anyone have any recommendations based on personal experience/insight?

Thank you!

Old 08-13-05, 04:34 AM
S
Plain and simple,the bottom line way to determine a paint's quality is largely by price.Glidden and to a lesser degree Ben Mooore,and this also includes almost every paint line,has multiple grades of paint.The various lines are positioned by price point and the higher the price the better the paint.Just because a brand name is on a can of paint does not mean it's good paint.Glidden is one of the brands that heavily follows this pattern as their paint is now sold in just about every discount retailer.The Consumer Reports testings as well as other testing sources are mostly accurate.That said you have a number of other quality brands to consider and even some "house" brands are excellant paint.Pratt and Lambert,Martin Senour and Sherwin Williams which are all divisions of S/W all have excellant paint lines.They have lesser grade CHEAPER lines as well.Ace Hardware makes their own paint to the specifications of national brands and is a good paint.The list goes on from there.Personally I consider Glidden to have lost the superiority it once had when it was decided to aim it towards discount retailers.Ben Moore is great paint but pricey for the good stuff.But after 30 years in the hardware business I can tell you that the bottom line on paint is you get what you pay for.Obviously there are exceptions but it's rare and mostly due to sale pricing etc.

Old 08-13-05, 06:54 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Consumer Reports does not use painters or painting criteria in their testing
Please do not use CR as a guide to pick your paint
They really have no idea what makes one paint better than another

I have used both brands you mentioned
The Ben Moore is superior
The Glidden is a rung up from the bottom (iow, not as bad as some), but I won't use it in a professional or personal capacity

Old 08-13-05, 11:23 AM
S
Originally Posted by slickshift
Consumer Reports does not use painters or painting criteria in their testing
Please do not use CR as a guide to pick your paint
They really have no idea what makes one paint better than another

I have used both brands you mentioned
The Ben Moore is superior
The Glidden is a rung up from the bottom (iow, not as bad as some), but I won't use it in a professional or personal capacity
CR is a source of information but should not be the only information used to make any purchase decision for any product of any kind.They are a product evaluation company not a manufacturer or end user.

Which specific lines in the two brands mentioned did you use? Both produce lines of varying quality which give widely varying results.This is particularly applicable to Glidden.

Old 08-13-05, 08:40 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
My vote goes to Ben Moore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: