Ceiling White as Primer

Old 08-14-05, 05:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling White as Primer

I am painting bare drywall (and finished mud) in a garage. The Sherwin-Williams guys tell me I can use their Ceiling White as a primer and topcoat. One says to thin it with water for use as a primer, the other says just use it. I am planning on spraying with a Graco 190 ES.

Is it OK to use ceiling white as a primer on bare drywall, and do I thin it or not? If I thin it, how much? Is a .019 nozzle ok for this paint/sprayer?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-05, 06:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Ceiling white can be used as a primer but it won't make for a quality paint job for the top coat. Since it is a garage it is probably ok. Unless you are real proficent with an airless I wouldn't use a tip any bigger than a 19. Personally I generally use a 5 - .017 tips on walls.

Last edited by marksr; 08-17-05 at 05:45 PM. Reason: wrong tip size
Old 08-14-05, 08:41 PM
E
Yeah, Like Marksr said, if it is a garage you will be fine but I would go with a "real" primer for my living space. I actually hear a lot of people using a ceiling paint for a primer. I am suprised SW would say to do this because it almost seems like they are "going against" their own product. To me a flat ceiling paint just wouldn't give me that nice surface that I would want when I apply the topcoat.
Not sure what the climate is like where you live is but you may want to get a paint with a mildewside in it for a garage. I am also not sure how high the ceiling is but I would also consider something that is pretty washable. I know it is a garage but since you are taking the time to sheetrock and paint the ceiling it sounds like you want the garage to look nice (I whish I was more like that......as does my wife ) so you may want to assure that you could keep it looking nice. Good luck.

Old 08-17-05, 02:40 PM
N
i would use a primer intead of two coats of ceiling white.... primers are usually cheaper anyway. .19 size tip will put a LOT of paint up there, i might go back to a .17.