Help with staining a new fence

Old 08-24-05, 07:48 PM
mikeb9550
Visiting Guest
Help with staining a new fence

I was hoping you guys could help me. I plan on staining my fence this weekend. Its very large (75 8' sections). Its PT, non shadow box, with a 1/4" gap between pickets. I was hoping to use a garden sprayer but dont know if it will work good with stain. I wanted to use something easy to apply and last long. I was thinking about Olympic solid color. Could you please give me some advice. I am known to find out later that the product wasnt as advertised or run into other issues.

Old 08-25-05, 05:36 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I would not use a garden sprayer for stain
I have found Cabot Stains easier to apply and longer lasting then Olympic
Normally I would use a large quality brush for a fence type such as yours, but that is alot of fence you have there
I would look into renting a proper sprayer, it may be worth it

Old 08-25-05, 05:52 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Same here, rent a pro rig. The garden sprayer won't build up enough pressure to properly atomize stain sometimes. I also would recommend Cabot or Sikkens.

Last edited by prowallguy; 08-25-05 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-25-05, 06:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 857 Upvotes on 749 Posts
I agree with using an airless for best/easy results. If for some reason you can't use an airless it is possible to brush and roll the fence. Use a 1" nap roller and apply the stain, using a brush to work in all the areas the roller misses [also helps to lay off what was rolled for slicker look]

Old 08-25-05, 10:28 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you get the sprayer also get the extension that goes on the end of the gun. You will make the job much easier,and limit the bending . I would start at the least noticable end and perfect my technique as I approached the money end.

Are you doing both sides?
Is there a neighbor involved?
Is it a new fence?

Old 08-25-05, 01:20 PM
mikeb9550
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys. I spent 3 hours looking for the stain you mentioned with no luck. I stopped at Home Depot and bought a can of Behr 10 yr oil/latex hybrid. It wasnt too expensive and went on real good. I know its not the best but it will do. I did a few sections by hand that are close to the house. after doing a few by hand, I will surely take your advice and get a sprayer. Their 80 bucks to rent for 24 hours. I will probably go that way since buying a good one will run around 500 bucks. Do you think I should be able to get it done if I work fast? I ask because I am contiplating buying a middle line one since I could use it to paint the garage and basement. If so do you have some recomendations?

Old 08-26-05, 12:14 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would just get the cheapest graco from the depot=$298 it is all you need. It is easy to clean up[ latex paint anyway-not oil base stain]I think it is the XR5.

Last edited by joneq; 08-26-05 at 01:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: