lines in paint

Old 09-01-05, 11:56 AM
hapidrew
Visiting Guest
lines in paint

I am painting an old ceiling and I am getting lines forming as I paint. Not roller lines, it looks like the old paint is wrinkling. Does anyone know what causes this and how to stop it short of stripping the old piant off...
Old paint is about 30 yrs. New paint is BEHR flat latex.
Thanks

Old 09-01-05, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 862 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Is there texture on the ceiling? Sounds as if the wet paint might be softening up the texture if that is the case.

Old 09-01-05, 05:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've had a very similiar problem the first time I painted a ceiling. I used a latex paint and had pieces falling off. You can't paint over a textured ceiling with latex paint unless its been painted with an oil first. Actually, you never said it was a textured ceiling so if it isn't, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 09-01-05, 06:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Textured ceilings are painted with latex [without oil primer] all the time. It is best done when the texture is new. When the texture starts to deteriate is when the problems begin. That is the biggest problem with popcorn ceilings - they often don't receive the first coat of paint before they start to deteriate.

Old 09-01-05, 09:29 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
When the texture starts to deteriate is when ...
They call me to fix it lol
I agree with marksr
You can paint a textured ceiling with latex, I do it all the time
Sometimes if you wait to long, the texture is deteriorated, and that can be a problem
It doesn't sound like that's hapidrew's problem though
hapidrew, could you be more specific?
The lines don't follow your roller?
Are they straight lines? Parallel to a wall?
Is there a texture?

Old 09-01-05, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
Textured ceilings are painted with latex [without oil primer] all the time. It is best done when the texture is new. When the texture starts to deteriate is when the problems begin. That is the biggest problem with popcorn ceilings - they often don't receive the first coat of paint before they start to deteriate.
Not sure of the protocol in this group but is it appropriate to ask a few questions in another persons thread? I have had zero luck rolling popcorn ceilings with latex paint yet you say it is done all the time (and I believe you). At approximately what age and under what conditions, does a ceiling stop being latex-paintable? I have sprayed a latex paint on a ceiling with my cheap airless sprayer and it worked OK but never with a roller. What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-01-05, 10:47 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mjd2k
Not sure of the protocol in this group but is it appropriate to ask a few questions in another persons thread? I have had zero luck rolling popcorn ceilings with latex paint yet you say it is done all the time ...
I think it's OK, but you might want to consider starting a new thread
I say this only because the topic line "problems w/ popcorn" or whatever you choose, may be what someone else is searching for, or has a good answer to, and they might not look at a thread called "lines in paint"
It could possibly help more DIYers that way, and you could possibly get more answers to your question that way
Just a thought

Old 09-02-05, 06:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
mjd2k
It is hard to give a date as to when texture is no longer paintable with a roller. Conditions vary greatly. Air borne moisture is the biggest culprit. Bathrooms and areas where windows and doors are left open are usually the first to show problems. Spraying is the easiest and best way to paint popcorn but it isn't always practical [especially in occupied homes]. There are rare times that even spraying will take the texture off the ceiling - from the moisture and weight of the paint.

Last edited by marksr; 09-02-05 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-02-05, 02:29 PM
J
joneq votes for greasy ceiling. Is this ceiling popcorn, textured, or regular. Don't really matter if it is grease. I ran into it a few times in a room off the kitchen. I Painted it over someone elses paint job that was over grease. Lines everywhere there was grease. It was either the grease or something they burned in the fireplace. I think it was grease. Just my opinion.

When the lines showed up I had to remove all the paint with a 6" spackle knife. Came off easy.

Old 09-02-05, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
I think it's OK, but you might want to consider starting a new thread
I say this only because the topic line "problems w/ popcorn" or whatever you choose, may be what someone else is searching for, or has a good answer to, and they might not look at a thread called "lines in paint"
It could possibly help more DIYers that way, and you could possibly get more answers to your question that way
Just a thought
Good Idea. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: