paint white marble fireplace

Old 09-04-05, 01:26 PM
krisgus1
Visiting Guest
paint white marble fireplace

I apologize if this is a cross posting. I thought it was a "faux finish" question--and then realized really it might just be a plain old painting question!

We have a gas fireplace with white marble tiles arond it (real marble???). It also has a white mantle and molding. It is very cold and the marble just isn't me. The room is kind of a bright-ish green (which is me) and the furniture is mostly neutrals (tans, reds and golds). I really want to warm up the fireplace....and because I don't like the tile, it seems like the obvious choice. I'm not sure if that tile can be painted. If so, what kind of paint and how do I prepare the surface? Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I"m at a loss!

Old 09-05-05, 06:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Personally I would not attempt to paint marble. IMO it is beautiful and only needs polishing when it gets old to bring back its old lustre. BUT IT ISN'T MY HOUSE. If you insist on painting it, make sure it is good and clean, use a good bonding type primer and finish in enamel. Paint will not be as durable as the marble.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: