T1-11 interior staining?

Old 09-11-05, 12:33 PM
jeffrocket
Visiting Guest
T1-11 interior staining?

I am moving into my first house and of course there are a few projects on my ever growing list. Number one is to do some interior painting. One of the "unique" things the previous owner did was to use exterior T1-11 siding in the living room and bedroom as paneling. I want to do a light colored stain in both rooms. Does any one have any experience or advice with something "weird" like this. My questions are about sanding, primering, do I use interior or exterior stain. I know this is may be an different approach to paneling but it is also easier than ripping it all out, and I think the end result may look good. Can anyone help?

jeffrocket

Old 09-11-05, 05:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums
Because of the roughness of the plywood it doesn't lend it self to the conventional way of staining wood work. Applying several coats of poly will deepen the color of the wood a little. You can also use tinted poly [minwax brand-polyshades] I hesitate to recomend it because it is a little difficult to get an even looking job over unsealed wood. The roughness of the T-111 makes it even harder to apply.

Old 09-12-05, 11:42 AM
jeffrocket
Visiting Guest
Thanks!-any suggestions

thanks marksr,

Maybe staining isn't a good idea, so what would you suggest. Primer and then a light interior latex? Light prep or should the T1-11 be sanded smooth as a babies butt? I have a friend that has T1-11 interior and he painted it with a high gloss(I have not seen it yet), but I don't think that's the effect I want.

jeffrocket

Old 09-12-05, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The easiest 2 options are either clear poly or paint. Sanding the T-111 smooth would be a big job. I've done a few jobs where the rough sawn wood was varnished and although the results were rough wood I thought it looked nice. Most importantly the customer was happy. Traditional wainscotting and paneling is smooth but that doesn't mean that yours has to be.

Old 04-02-11, 09:07 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Results?

I just bought a house that has dark stained and poly'd T1-11 paneling in the living room. How did your project turn out? I've got a special "gripper" primer--I was thinking of applying that, then some high gloss and using a wash or glaze over that to sit in the wood grain. It definitely needs to be lightened--the room looks like a cave in spite of some big windows.

Old 04-02-11, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Katie!

I don't think Jeff has been on the forums in about 5 yrs or so....... so I wouldn't wait on him to answer

I don't do much faux painting so I'm not the best one to answer but your 'gripper' primer should do ok since it's rough sawn wood [I'd probably use an oil base primer over the poly] If your faux paint technique doesn't come out well - it shouldn't be a problem to apply paint over it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: