Wood work & Stain blocking

Old 09-12-05, 09:28 AM
jlisota
Visiting Guest
Wood work & Stain blocking

My wife and I bought an old (1927) home and have been working on applying a fresh coat of paint everywhere. One lesson I've learned is that everything take 2-3 times longer than expected when working on an old home.

This weekend I stripped the chipped and peeling paint from a window sill. I took it all the way down the the bare wood and discovered that the original wood had been stained very dark. (mahogany?) In order to prep the wood work for painting I used Pittsburgh Paints - Seal Grip Stain Killing Primer. Upon applying the first coat of primer the primer pulled the stain out of the wood and left me with a bright pink window sill. Not exactly the look we were going for. On the can it says for tough stains you may need two coats of primer. I haven't put a second coat on there yet, but plan on doing that tonight. Incidently spots on the other wood work that were chipped/scratched to the bare wood are also coming through pink. Two questions:

1) Do you think that the stain killing primer will lock in the stain so that the second coat of primer and topcoat go on cleanly? Or will this pink keep coming through?

2) If this primer isn't doing the job, is there another primer recommended for this type of problem?

Thank you in advance for any advice and assistance.

Old 09-12-05, 09:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums
Sometimes dark stains will bleed through like that. I would apply another coat of primer to be safe although it may not be necessarry. I haven't used any Pittsburg products in a long time so I can't comment on the quality of that primer. I'm assuming it is oil base. Oil base and shellac based primers work the best for hiding stains. If the primer is latex I would consider switching to an oil or shellac based product.

Old 09-12-05, 10:07 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Yup, what he said
Though I have not used that particular primer from Pittsburg, I have used and do rely on some others from them
They have some pretty good ones
It is a little "Ut oh" when you see that bleed through but is does happen
It does sound like yours is bleeding through pretty good...
Another coat may take care of it like the can says
I would try an oil- or shellac-based though
You don't want to wait and find out later it didn't cut the mustard
Personally, I think I'd go with the shellac based in this case (old, old, very dark finish)

If it was an oil-based that you used, then "Ut oh"
You'll want the shellac
It's stinky, but it's good stuff

Old 09-12-05, 10:41 AM
jlisota
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Thank you for your quick responses. To say that the stain is "bleeding through pretty good" would be an understatement. The sill is literally bright pink.

As far as the type of primer, I'm not exactly sure whether the primer is oil or shellac based. The website indicates that the primer is synthetic (styrene acrylic). It does require paint thinner for clean up so I'm fairly certain it isn't a latex primer. I tried this primer first based on a recommendation from a paint store. I also have several gallons of Kilz available. 1 Kilz Premium (oil-based), 1 Kilz Odorless (oil-based), and a third which I don't recall what it is. Do any of these, including the one I tried, fit the bill? If not what is the "best" shellac based primer/sealer available?

I'll probably try coat #2 tonight with the Pittsburgh paint, but if that doesn't work, it's back to the drawing board...

Old 09-12-05, 10:55 AM
S
Hmmm...I would use Kilz Original
That's what I have in my van
I wonder if that's your "Premuim" (it does say oil-based on the front)
It's kinda old though, I have been using the Zinnser products lately
Does it use mineral spirits to clean up?
It'll say on the back

Old 09-12-05, 10:57 AM
S
Originally Posted by slickshift
Hmmm...I would use Kilz Original
Actually what I should say is I would use the Zinnser product
If I had a gallon of Kilz I would try it though

Old 09-15-05, 10:55 AM
jlisota
Visiting Guest
getting better...

Ok, so last night I picked up a small pint of the Zinsser BIN stain blocker and applied it to my pick window sill. The results are much better, although there is still a slightly pink tint coming through. So the question is, do I do another coat of BIN or do I just go ahead with my topcoat?

Old 09-15-05, 11:11 AM
S
You should be good
It really shouldn't get through shellac
Normally you'd want two color coats anyway, so the primer not being "white" is OK
If you have time, maybe you could test a little spot just to be sure though

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: