Paint for bathroom drywall repairs

Old 09-18-05, 07:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint for bathroom drywall repairs

I want to paint over walls in my bathroom that I did drywall repair on. I want to be sure that the previously painted area adheres well to the new paint. I keep hearing about problems with saponification--from soap film on walls. My plan was to prime the walls with shellac base primer rather than scrub them. Does this sound reasonable?

Last edited by prowallguy; 09-19-05 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-05, 06:48 AM
J
I think you mean you want to make sure the new paint adheres to the previously painted surface.

You need to thoroughly clean any surface you plan on paint is the short answer.

I realize that most pros and practically all homeowners do not clean their bedroom wall before repainting. This does not mean it should not be done.

When you paint a dirty wall you are really painting what is on the wall not the wall. In your case soapfilm is not an acceptable surface.

You do not need to use a shellac based primer. Zinsser bullseye 123 will be fine. Less odor=more healthy+still open a window

Old 09-19-05, 06:49 PM
S
Originally Posted by Capt
My plan was to prime the walls with shellac base primer rather than scrub them. Does this sound reasonable?
No, not really
You should scrub them
They shouldn't need a shellac-based primer unless they have need of some heavy-duty sealing
The new drywall may need priming, and perhaps the old paint depending on the old color/sheen and new color