painting vinyl siding

Old 09-30-05, 03:41 PM
timbodale
Visiting Guest
painting vinyl siding

I'm about to paint all of my vinyl siding, and I've heard a couple of things that concern me. First of all, I've read that it's a bad idea to paint the siding darker than its original color because it can cause the siding to warp. Is this really the case? The color I'm wanting to use is darker than the original color, but it's not extremely dark by any means. Should I choose a lighter color?

Also, someone at a paint store said they could not guarantee that the paint will even stick. Is there a type of primer I can use to guarantee adherence. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-30-05, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding collects a lot of heat in the summer. Thats why there are not a whole lot of color choices available in vinyl siding. I painted my yellow siding up North a medium blue. You HAVE to use a latex paint as the siding expands and any other paint will crack. It is advisable to do the painting on a cool day as the siding is contracted. If you paint on a hot day, when the siding contracts, you will have the original color showing on the ends where it was behind the corner molding when you painted. I purchased a cleaner for siding that removed the dirt and dulled the finish so the paint would stick. Good luck.

Old 10-01-05, 11:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Vinyl siding needs to be clean, no primer is necessary but it is a good idea to add emulsa bond to the paint. Qaulity latex paint will adhere to clean vinyl, EB helps it adhere better. Vinyl siding is temp rated so darker colors may cause the siding to absorb too much heat. I wouldn't paint it any darker than the color that is on there now. It is ok to change colors just not deeper colors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: