Painting a snow plow

Old 10-01-05, 11:02 AM
danno 1
Visiting Guest
Painting a snow plow

Hi everyone. I have a 7 and 1/2 ft snow plow I`m in the process of re-finishing. The plow mostly has an old top coat, but some areas the size of golf balls have flaked off. They were also pitted.
What I did in those areas was sand down, and filled in, with a product from Eastwood company, called "Metal to Metal" that has metal in it.
What would be THE BEST way of continuing to prep until the top coat is applied?
I was told that the plow should be "baked" in a auto body booth to remove the "moisture" thats in before applying paint?
Also, what would be the best primer could I use, and could I spray it to get a smooth finish ? Do I have to thin the primer, or is there one that doesn`t need to ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-05, 05:19 AM
danno 1
Visiting Guest
Advice?

Old 10-02-05, 08:26 AM
what is the plow made of. I probably would not have filled it with the Eastwood stuff, but it is probably ok. Probably not much different than JB weld,but I don't know for sure.
Take a look at this site and click on products. See if there is something there that will suit your needs. It will probably take a while to heat up the plow,and I don't know id propane ever will. They have a chat room to ask questions.

http://www.alumaloy.net/

Second option is to fill in with a welder

Old 10-02-05, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
First let me say I have no experience with either using or painting a snow plow. That said it seams to me that you are worring to much about the finish. I would think that once the rust and loose paint is removed that a good primer followed by 2 coats of good industrial enamel would be all you need to do.

Old 10-06-05, 11:54 AM
danno 1
Visiting Guest
I want to have it as new looking as I can make it. And then KEEP it looking that way as long as possible. As they always say, preping the item right is a reflection on the finished product.

I did look into that. But the plow is 11 gauge steel. Here is the product I used..http://eastwoodco.com/shopping/produ...metal&to&metal

Last edited by danno 1; 10-06-05 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a good product for what you need it to do. As I said earlier I have no real experience with snow plows but I would think sanding it and appling a fresh coat of industrial enamel every year would keep it looking good.