How many coats of primer?

Old 10-03-05, 07:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many coats of primer?

I'm priming 80 year old plaster walls with Zinsser 123. I put the first coat on, and it's not on very even. It is, but there are some areas where you can see the wall underneath slightly, etc. Do I need to add a second coat of primer so that the wall is completely evenly covered? I'm not talking about big holes where I completly missed with the primer, just small areas where it didn't go on very thickly.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-05, 07:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Rarely is there ever a need to apply a 2nd coat of primer. As long as the wall has primer on it [as opposed to missed areas] there should be no need for another coat of primer. Unless there are stains showing through the primer it is ready for the top coat.

Old 10-03-05, 10:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
Rarely is there ever a need to apply a 2nd coat of primer. As long as the wall has primer on it [as opposed to missed areas] there should be no need for another coat of primer. Unless there are stains showing through the primer it is ready for the top coat.
marksr is right on the money Spooksmcgee
Unless you have "Holidays" (actual missed spots), or bad stains bleeding through (you'll need a sealer for those), you should be fine
The primer isn't supposed to look like a white top coat

Old 10-03-05, 01:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I have gathered from your post that the problem might be the wall itself - primer is not going to cover up for a wall that needs work, as 80 year old walls often do. If that's not the case and you just don't like the way the primer looked compared to a finished product, then the above posts are right on the money.