Priming new stucco

Old 10-03-05, 08:18 PM
Married only to a house!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Priming new stucco

I have brand new exterior stucco which has been aged several months and is ready for priming and painting. What is the best brand and type primer to use? Is there a sealer of some sort I should use prior to priming? I guess the best question to ask is What steps and what products should I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-05, 07:00 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would probably post this question in the bricks masonry and concrete forum

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

You could look at this in the meantime It is from Zinsser.com

Bulls Eye 1-2-3 is mold & mildew-resistant, so its great for high-humidity areas like bathrooms and laundry rooms. It offers effective resistance to the formation of mold & mildew on the underside and surface of the primer film, prolonging the life of your paint job. It has a well-earned reputation as a great stain blocker, permanently and completely sealing stains from crayons, graffiti, greasy spots, tannin even light water stains. Formulated with high performance proprietary resins, it is the go to primer for binding chalky surfaces like aluminum or previously painted siding and for priming possibly high pH surfaces like con-crete, stucco, plaster and fast setting joint & texture compounds.

Old 10-04-05, 08:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Stucco is often primed with slightly thinned doewn masonary paint. IMO house paint [as opposed to masonary] makes for a longer lasting finish. There are also primers made specifically for masonary - check with your local paint store. There are those who paint stucco with 1 coat of paint and it will cover and look ok but I believe 2 coats make for a better job.