Painting interior walls in old house

Old 10-16-05, 03:40 PM
AnnetteMH
Visiting Guest
Painting interior walls in old house

I live in a house built in 1955. There is at least four coats of paint on the walls and trim. The last paint job was very, very porrly done with no prep. They painted over scotch tape on the walls, dirt, and anything that got in the way. I have prepped the walls and I have lightly sanded the trim and door frames, but I'm concerned that the doorframes will start chipping as soon as the paint starts to dry.

I don't have the money right now to replace the trim around the doors and truthfully I don't have the time or energy to strip all the old paint off.

I am concerned because of the age of the house (and wood), the fact this was a rental for many years (have no idea what is on the walls), and we live in Southern Colorado where it is very dry year around. I'm a little concerned with sanding too much.

Is there a cost effective, time efficient way to work with this trim.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-05, 07:58 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnnetteMH
Is there a cost effective, time efficient way to work with this trim.
Really I would not strip the old stuff off either, it's neither cheap nor quick, and it'll still have to be painted when your done
It's more cost effective to put up new trim and paint that

Can you test the frame you sanded with a good quality paint and see how it holds?

Old 10-17-05, 08:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
IMO as long as the old paint is adhered to the trim and is sanded/scuffed slightly it shouldn't chip. If there is oil base enamel on the woodwork now it would be best to repaint with oil base.