What do you mean by "cutting in"???

Old 10-18-05, 06:02 PM
aces67
Visiting Guest
Question What do you mean by "cutting in"???

I had posted about my paint job looking bad. What do you mean by cutting in??

After letting the room dry for several days it really looks like I should paint around the edges of all the trim again and then let it dry and possibly do another coat with the roller. How do this sound?

If I do the edges of the walls with a brush do I have to use a brush for the whole wall or can I still use a roller??

I'm trying to fix this without hiring someone.

THanks

Old 10-18-05, 06:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
'Cutting in' is the term used to describe the act of cutting [brushing] in all areas on a wall not accessible with a roller. This should be done first, then while the paint is still wet you roll the rest of the wall getting the roller as close to as possible the ceiling, another wall, light fixtures, etc to minimize the difference between the brush strokes and the roller stipple.

If the edges that were painted with a brush have coverage issues, cutting it in again with a brush may help. If it is the slight texture difference between rolling and brushing, just repainting the edges won't help.

Last edited by marksr; 10-18-05 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-05, 06:58 PM
aces67
Visiting Guest
so when I trim everything I should make sure the paint is still wet before rolling??

Old 10-18-05, 07:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Yes, especially with enamels or color changes. That is why it is best to 'cut and roll' one wall at a time. There are times [mostly with flat latex] that you can get away with not painting in sequence. Unless you have the experience to know when you can get away with it it is best to treat every wall the same and brush and roll one wall or section at a time.

Old 10-19-05, 05:25 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Aces,
I always recommend two coats of paint. Applying only one coat is being lazy . Two will always make a big difference in how the colour appears on the wall.

Some dark colours actually need 3 coats.

Old 10-20-05, 06:12 PM
aces67
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your help!! My husband is going to try and repaint again tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Amanda

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: