Paint thermofoil cabinets?

Old 10-22-05, 08:49 PM
forager
Visiting Guest

We purchased a 6-year old home with white thermofoil kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are in great shape, but we hate the color. Will the thermofoil cabinet doors accept paint or stain? If so, what would be the best method?
I've found only one cautious comment online about the issue, suggesting the use of an acrylic paint. There was no comment about preparation, however.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basicaly the prep is to clean and paint or stain. The product is a coating, thermally applied, and will not accept extensive sanding.

Old 10-24-05, 10:11 AM
forager
Visiting Guest

Thank you for the information. Any idea if the interior (and exterior sides) of the cabinet will accept paint and/or stain as readily as the exterior of the cabinet door? Unlike the door's exterior front, the interior and sides of the cabinet are comprised of a much more slick and shiny material, reminscent of a high gloss sealant.
I've tried unsuccessfully to find information on the Mills Pride website. Again, any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-05, 11:05 AM
forager
Visiting Guest
Paint Thermofoil cabinets?

Addendum to above:
The interior and exterior sides of the cabinet is WHITE MELAMINE LAMINATE. Does this material support stain and/or paint? Any special preparation? The material appears non-porous; is very slick to the touch. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-05, 05:46 PM
Typically the cabinet boxes of thermofoil cabinets are painted with white lacquer. If melamine, there are paints available. Read and follow instructions for surface prep and application. Thermofoil is a thin vinyl wrap that has been heat set on MDF. You will need a primer that will stick to plastic for both melamine and thermofoil.

Old 10-24-05, 06:37 PM
forager
Visiting Guest
Paint

Thank you very much, Snoonyb and twelvepole.

Old 07-29-06, 02:43 PM
removing paint

I'm in the opposite position, I just bought a house where the homeowner painted portions of the Thermofoil cabinets. Can I remove the paint without damagng the white thermofoil? Can I get the clean white sheen back or do i need to repaint them?