Can we wait weeks after primer to paint finish?

Old 11-14-05, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can we wait weeks after primer to paint finish?

My wife and I have just purchased our first home and plan on painting several of the rooms, although we are unsure of the colors at this point. I wanted to go ahead and apply non-tinted primer (that 1-2-3 stuff probably) to the walls after I clean and gently sand them. However, we were planning on holding off on picking the final paint color until we've had some time to figure out our decor. Is there a problem with letting the walls be primed but not finished for several weeks. One of the rooms is a horrid bright green (ugh) and the other is purple!! We have a bit of time in the next two days to prime so we'd like to get that out of the way. Also, once the walls have been primed, should be re-sand before finishing since we're going to wait so long? Or should be just wait and prime and paint when we have time in the future?

Thank you. The advice on this website has been invaluable thus far.

- Sixth Hour

Old 11-15-05, 04:42 AM
S
I can't say that I've ever painted weeks after priming
In my business it's really the other way around-how quickly can I paint after priming
lol
I looked at the Technical Data Bulletin on 1-2-3 and did not see any reason it couldn't sit for a few weeks
Just to be on the safe side, I'd do a quick scuff sand with a sanding screen and wipe down with a swiffer before color painting

Old 11-15-05, 08:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The biggest drawback with waiting on the top coat is that the primer may get dirtier easier than regular paint would.

Having both painted on and over bright colors, I understand your desire to cover up the eye shattering colors There shouldn't be any problems painting over the primer a month later.

Old 11-17-05, 07:15 PM
Our decision

We've decided to just do one room at a time. We started with the purple room - applied a gray-tinted primer (that 123 stuff) and started painting over it with a deep red (it will be our study). Hehe - purple to red...I'm not sure if that's an improvement or not, but my wife likes it so...well, you know how it is. Actually, its a very warm color and it works...but what a pain to paint a red satin finish...our first coat is definetly lacking so we anticipate another two coats I think. Thank you for all your advice and this forum has been so helpful.

Last question (should probably be a separate thread) but do you agree with painting straight lines with red paint (as advised in this forum "sticky") or use the W-pattern or multiple lines? We're having a hard time getting the color to not streak horribly and be deep. The primer is showing through after the first coat. (BTW, we are relatively new to painting dark colors).

Paint: Behr Premium (home depot) brand - Satin Finish [rated high in consumer reports so I figured I'd go with them, plus they're only 4 minutes away from our new house)
Brushes: Purdy rollers/brushes

Thank you.

Last edited by sixthhour; 11-17-05 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Types of paint and brushes added
Old 11-17-05, 07:45 PM
S
Originally Posted by sixthhour
We started with the purple room - applied a gray-tinted primer (that 123 stuff) and started painting over it with a deep red (it will be our study). ...but what a pain to paint a red satin finish...our first coat is definitely lacking so we anticipate another two coats I think.
Probably
Red is a difficult, if not the most difficult color
Last question .. do you agree with painting straight lines with red paint (as advised in this forum "sticky") or use the W-pattern or multiple lines? We're having a hard time getting the color to not streak horribly and be deep. The primer is showing through after the first coat. (BTW, we are relatively new to painting dark colors).
See next answer
Paint: Behr Premium (home depot) brand - Satin Finish [rated high in consumer reports so I figured I'd go with them, plus they're only 4 minutes away from our new house)
Brushes: Purdy rollers/brushes
CR, which I respect, support, and subscribe to, does not use pro painters or pro painting criteria for their tests
They may use repeatable Scientific Methods (note caps), but not on what makes good paint
They may even address common DIYer concerns, such as "does it last 15 years?" or "Does it look like the chip when I open the cap?"
No offense, but there are other factors that weigh much heavier when actually applying paint

Old 11-17-05, 07:46 PM
Red pain

I jus finished painting red over tan. My wife found a Raplh Lauren (Home Depot) color that we couldn't get easily in another brand. Unaware of the quality.

It took one coat of tinted primer (red) and 3 coats of the latex.

We went with flat. A little difference in the nap of the roller seems to make a big difference in the coverage and appearance. We have to contend with the light coming in from a sliding door on an adjacement wall that shows every defect.

You can do it and it looks better with each coat. Mine probably would look much richer if I added another coat. - I probably will since I have some left.

Dick

Old 11-17-05, 07:51 PM
S
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
You can do it and it looks better with each coat. Mine probably would look much richer if I added another coat. - I probably will since I have some left.
I would agree
...and would suggest another coat

Old 11-17-05, 07:59 PM
S
PS sixthhour, you can avoid this 4...maybe 5 coat thing by switching to a good paint like Ben Moore
Then it would be a 2 coat...or 3 coat max

Old 11-18-05, 07:55 AM
J
Didn't see any mention of anybody doing 4 or 5 coats?????? of finish paint.You need to use a primer so I don't count that.

Using Behr and applying it properly with good brushes and roller covers will result in a nice job after 3 coats max.If you need more than 3 coats it is an application problem imo. When you are painting with red you need to pay a little attention to what you are doing[not saying you didn't] and have plenty of light shining on the wall[very important imo]

I hope you used the right primer for the red paint. Tinting regular 123 for deep red topcoat is not a good idea. Deep base 123 +2 coats of Behr or BM could do it. A far cry from 5 finish coats by my math

That "123 stuff" as you call it is one of the best primer around,if not the best------ all things considered[where you can use it and the work it saves +availability]

Old 11-22-05, 05:30 PM
Talking Room finished

Ok, we're done painting the room red.

Used Gray tinted Deep Base 123 primer.

Three coats of the Behr.

Looks GREAT. Might have gotten away with two coats actually, but three was really important for the room to really have that nice deep look.

Thank you all for the great advice! Those Purdy brushes were awesome!!

- Sixthhour

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: