Remove paint from walls?

Old 11-17-05, 11:49 AM
bjshawnikins
Visiting Guest
Question Remove paint from walls?

HI! We bought a home 2 years ago and it was built in the 1940's. I want to repaint my boys room.. The problem is, that the people who have owned the home defore us have about 10 to 15 coats of paint and it's really thick and gloppy. It possible to remove the paint. I want to Lowe's and a guy recommened that I could removed the paint with a stripper. I don't know if that is safe to use on the wall. I am pretty sure that I have drywall not plaster. Also, do I need to be concerned if it was painted with lead paint at one time. i would appreciate any adive.
Thank you
Lori

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-05, 08:55 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Obviously paint stripper strips paint , but it in not a good idea to use it on your walls. It would be overly expensive to say the least. You would need more than 1 application,and what you would be left with may result in having to remove the drywall anyway---an overall bad idea.

Skip to plan "B" Or "C".

"B" Sand the walls with an aggressive grit sand paper[60-80]in a random orbit sander [rent if you don't have one--get dust extraction if possible--1/2 day].Prime[Zinsser bullseye 123] If want or if you don't know what kind of paint is on the walls[probably a good idea anyway]and repaint--or

"C" Rip the walls out and replace Another bad idea imo.

Joneq likes plan "B". if the walls are as bad as you say don't think that a little 4" finish sander will work. It may eventually get the job done,but it is not in the same league as the Random orbit Sander.

Random thoughts from joneq

Old 11-18-05, 10:43 AM
paint stripper is for removing paint on wood furniture & trim. no one strips paint from walls.

sanding paint that's probably lead based? not a good idea. i think you should skim coat the whole room (or just bad/rough areas) with joint compound to smooth it out. "sand" in between thin coats with a damp sponge. when it's smooth, prime & paint. or wallpaper if it's still not perfect. for that matter, there are textured wallpapers meant just for your situation. you hang them over imperfect walls & then paint them.

Old 11-18-05, 11:33 AM
J
This room has 10-15 layers of paint. Hopefully the most recent ones will not have lead. Sand till the walls are smooth enough not till you hit paydirt. I got the impression about 100% of the walls were in need of help. Heavy orange peel, drips, runs, dirt, ropes.

joneq said----

Sand the walls with an aggressive grit sand paper[60-80]in a random orbit sander [rent if you don't have one--get dust extraction if possible.

Skimcoating is always an option [all the time] and if done properly will produce good results. You will never know you are not good at it till you are looking at how to fix the mess you made--sanding +more coats +more sanding.
Mixing should be done with a drill and paddle=more money.Add to that the knives and they tray or hawk to hold the mud=more money Drywall dust[sanding] is not too hot for the lungs either.I'll take my chances with a little lead anyday. . When you cant breathe nothing else matters.

They have masks for both lead and drywall dust,but I don't thing you need it for the lead. You could test it for lead if you are worried.They sell kits in the paint store.

I truly doubt that a professional would come in and skim coat the walls. At least not around here

The sanding goes quick with the proper tool. If you go the sanding route pick up a little block that cleans the sandpaper.They load with crap fast.

Old 11-18-05, 11:43 AM
i don't want to argue over this, but............with CHILDREN living in the home (even with no children), i wouldn't stir up ANY potentially (ie: probably) lead-filled dust into the air when going over it with joint compound will solve the problem safely.

you can buy joint compound premixed in a tub. use an inexpensive 6" broadknife & blob some out onto an old plate or anything that will hold it & allow you to scoop some out with the knife - no need to buy a drill or tray. and using a wrung out sponge to "sand" in between coats produces next to no dust. i've done it. and i had no prior experience and it turned out almost perfectly smooth, then i wallpapered over it.

i won't say anymore - the choice is hers.

Old 11-18-05, 11:53 AM
S
I wouldn't recommend using paint stripper on the walls

I also wouldn't recommend sanding lead paint to a DIYer

It's hard to say the best course w/o seeing it, but if possible I would recommend skim coating with joint compound to smooth or blend any wall textures

That would be the easiest, most DIY friendly course of action

Old 11-18-05, 12:56 PM
J
Nobody recommended sanding lead paint!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without seeing it it is had to say,like SS said. I would be more concerned with lead in the drinking water in a house that was built in the '40s,unless it has been re-plumbed.

Skim coating a room with a 6" knife and a paper plate Not bloody likely by joneq. If they go the skim coat route at least spend a few dollars on some different size knives and maybe apply it with a roller,and -oh yea----sand the walls a little before you start,at least scrape them.

This post originated almost 24 hrs before I decided to reply and offer my solution. What took you all so long??????????.You can always depend on joneq to generate some traffic.

Old 11-19-05, 05:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Ladies and Gents:

This post is getting out of control. Becoming a dispute and conflict. Not allowed in the forum topics. Read the rules. Post your own best advice and allow others to do likewise. It's than up to the member to choose which method best suites the task or project at hand. Period.

Rules:
DoItYourself.com Community Forum member postings must be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topic discussion. Never degrade any other person or the information any member provides. Treat each other with respect, dignity, professionalism and a general high regard at all times.

Publicly second-guessing, harassing, belittling and or ridiculing are all prohibited. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and/or inappropriate in a reasonable persons view is prohibited.

Lori:
DIY web sites Apology to you for the conflicts and disputes between the moderators and members in this thread. Inappropriate and unexceptable from mods and/or members or anyone to behave in this manner. Should not have happened but did. Kindly excuse anyone and/or everyone for engaging in such.

Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent & Forums Monitor.

Old 11-20-05, 05:21 PM
M
I skim the walls in my house, as they are damaged from 25 years of rental and bad home ownership.

I use two coats, then sand.

When I sand I use a sanding pole, and or a sanding sponge (medium grit).

The walls are as smooth as new drywall. It does take a bit of work, as I cover every inch. But it looks great when I am done painting.

I use a 12" knife and a Stainless Steel pan.

Last edited by MudSlinger; 11-21-05 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-30-05, 04:56 PM
bjshawnikins
Visiting Guest
No apology needed!! I am glad that I got an opinion from ALL sides. Thanks agiain fro all the help!!