Removing Masking Tape Peels Paint

Old 12-01-05, 02:18 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Masking Tape Peels Paint

I think the title says it all.

I have spent every free moment of the last few weeks painting the white trim and lattice on my porch.

I finished last week. On Tuesday, I masked with Duck's blue 14 day "Quick Release" tape so I could paint the floor.

Today, I started pulling up the tape, and it's pulling the white paint, and in some cases, the primer and the ORIGINAL paint underneath THAT!

Is there a trick to this? Like hitting it with a hair dryer or something? Or am I doing more cut work tomorrow?

(It was about 65 when I put the tape on. It has since dropped into the 40's. And it will continue to be in the 40s.)

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-05, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
When you painted the trim and coated the tape at the same time you created a bond between the trim and tape with the paint. In the future the less you rely on tape and the sooner it is removed the better off you will be.

If you carefully use an utility knife to cut the paint film at the edge of the tape it should come off with no further problems.

Old 12-01-05, 03:52 PM
B
Yes, the masking tape is to prevent occasional laps (lapses?) with the brush. Its not to allow one to be careless and slather paint all over it.

Like Mark suggested, a razor blade or utility knife is your best friend now.

Old 12-01-05, 04:37 PM
R
I figured seven days to cure was enough time between painting the trim and masking.

No way to fit a blade between tape and surface - it's all crappy angles.

Hence, using "Masking" tape to, well, to mask. If my hand was steady enough to do it, I wouldn't have used the tape.

I sure am glad I paid the extra two bucks for the "clean release"...

Old 12-01-05, 04:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Don't let the tape stay on too long. Weather has a way of making tape a real bear to remove. Even if the porch is covered the night air can still do a number on the tape.

If you use oil enamel on the floor you shouldn't have any problems taping and touching up the latice when you get a warm enough day to paint. If you used latex on the floor, I would let it dry for a week first. At any rate it would be good to remove the tape the same day.

Old 12-02-05, 10:32 AM
No way to fit a blade between tape and surface
what MarkSr meant was to score along the EDGE of the tape, to break the seal between the tape and the paint that's been painted over it. it'll keep the tape from bringing the paint next to it along with it. next time, pull up the tape before the paint has time to dry.

nothing will remedy the problem of the tape bringing up the paint that's UNDER it, except next time, giving that paint longer to cure before you apply tape to it.

Old 12-02-05, 10:37 AM
R
Originally Posted by Annette
except next time, giving that paint longer to cure before you apply tape to it.
So what's an acceptable amount of time? I figured six and a half days was more than enough.

Old 12-02-05, 10:49 AM
i don't know. marksr said a week, but that didn't work out. personally, i wouldn't put tape over new paint. if you've got the vertical surfaces painted, and now you need to do the floor, you shouldn't need to tape. just used a good chiseled brush and maybe hold up a broad knife as a guard.

Old 12-02-05, 01:34 PM
J
Try pulling the tape back on itself. Flick up the end and pull it off pull it back on itself. Hard to explain. Do not pull it off at 90 degrees.. Let me give you an example.

Suppose you had taped a floor and painted over it. To remove the tape you would flick up the end and pull it back,not up. The part of the tape you are removing should almost be touching the tape that will be removed shortly.The tape should not get more that 1/4 or so[less is better] inch off the surface

This should help with the other problems as well,but I think you did something wrong during the application. If you prepared the surface and waited for it to cure it should not be doing what it is doing. Especially pulling up the original paint that was down a long time.

Quick release is not necessarally the lowest tack an doesn=t really have a lot to do with freshly painted surfaces. At least I do not depent on it to not cause problems. To me it means that a painter can if they choose to mask off windows [each pane] and still be able to remove the tape easily in 14 days of sun. This will not happen with regular masking tape. It will be a "b" ,and I don't mean bear, to get off.

3M has blue masking tape with 1/2 the tack of the stuff[joneq's fav] in the depot and purple tape with the least tack [never used it]

Old 12-02-05, 02:57 PM
R
Thanks. I found an "organic" adhesive remover I will try in the morning. And the "rollback" method. The problem was, the way the posts meet the floor, it's very tight and cramped, and I'm not too coordinated, so I thought masking would be the low-risk way to keep the grey grey and the white white. Hah!

For some reason, rjbinney finds joneq's use of the third person strange. Does anyone else agree with rjbinney?

------------

This was a two day project I have now been working on since, I believe, the Eisenhower administration.

Thanks

Old 12-02-05, 06:47 PM
J
Joneq doesn't. It seems to bother Annette though.You know annette ----with the dog running back and forth Just kidding A.

Last edited by joneq; 12-02-05 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 10:32 PM
C
An addition too:

I have been painting and remodeling residential homes for over a decade and this problem well is still a problem to most diy as well some experienced painters. However an important fact about painting in general is "patience". Successfull painting projects involves 3/4 preperation which in most cases involves a considerable amount of dedicated labor. The other 1/4 of this equation is the application of the paint and is really the least time and labor demanding part of the process. OK now here is my solution to the problem. As you pull the tape from the surface, say from the trimwork around a door (case moulding) and the adjacent wall surface, twist the tape spirally away from the intersecting surfaces in a direction opposite the side in which it is placed. If tape is applied on the right side of the doors trim you will twist out and towards your left. However, take your time. Haste makes Waste!!!

Old 02-09-12, 08:42 PM
R
Thanks. I sold the house five-and-a-half years ago, so I'm not going to go back and give it a try.

(By the way, I TOTALLY got the "peel it back on itself" reference without the explanation!)

As a side note - I was doing that project because I had to install a ramp on the porch for my handicapped basset hound. She died in November of 05, and I was replacing the lattice and rails.

Tonight, I was visiting where I lived 15 years ago, drove past the house where she was a puppy, and had dinner with old friends who regaled their spouses with stories of this wonder dog who survived to back surgeries and had several houses with handicapped ramps over the years.

My wife emailed me a photo of a spitting image basset hound tonight with the subject line "Since You're Going By Her Old House".

THEN I see the notification that THIS thread has been replied to.

Very serendipitous!