Add a shine to trim

Old 12-07-05, 12:48 PM
laneiam
Visiting Guest
Add a shine to trim

I painted the walls and trim with Living Easy interier satin color paint with a 929# tint base". I now want to improve on this paint. Is the anything I can put over the trim to make it glossier looking? And the walls to dress them up?
New posterundefinedundefined

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-05, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
You can apply varnish or poly over the paint. If you use oil base for this it will likely change the color of the paint some.

It would be better to get a quart [assuming thats enough] of that color in a semi-gloss or gloss paint. It would also be more durable.

Old 12-07-05, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just reread your post. What do you mean by dress up the walls?
Do they not have enough paint on them?

Old 12-07-05, 01:15 PM
laneiam
Visiting Guest
I just want to make sure I understand completely even though this may sound like I am a true novice. But I am.
When you say poly and then you say semi gloss or gloss of the same color, you are meaning either or right?

Old 12-07-05, 01:19 PM
laneiam
Visiting Guest
I reread my post.
By dressing up the walls I mean I didn't like the way the paint finish came out. I am sorry I didn't really specify. The finish looks like I put 17 coats on. It looks dull and heavy.

Old 12-07-05, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You answered your own question when you said you used Easy Living paint. Buy some real paint at a Sherwin Williams or Ben Moore store and your walls will look much better.

Old 12-07-05, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
[QUOTE=laneiam.
When you say poly and then you say semi gloss or gloss of the same color, you are meaning either or right?[/QUOTE]

Some use poly or varnish to give more gloss and durability to paint. The drawbacks are it will likely change the color of the paint and if ever recoated would need oil base paint or atleast an oil primer.

A better method would be to have either semi-gloss or gloss tinted to match the wall color.

No need to apologize for being a novice, we all started out knowing nothing about what we can now do best.