Spackling after priming?

Old 12-22-05, 11:47 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spackling after priming?

I have a room that was spackled - poorly in spots. Then it was primed. I want to fill in some of the nasty grooves left during the sanding process and feather some area out better.

Will the spackle adhere well to the primer the way it does to the sheetrock? It seems the primer always has light sheen to it.

I assume the spackle will stick just fine though because the paint sticks to the primer obviously.

If I need to start scufing the primer just to spackle over it Ill probably leave it and paint over the crappy spackle job.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-05, 03:08 PM
J
Sounds like Bullseye 123. Personally I would litely scuffsand it. I would use a pole sander and the whole room would be done in like 15 minutes including sweeping the walls clean. I don't blieve you have to sand the walls even though I would. Mud has some adhesive stuff in it. I wish this stuff was more available.

The sheen on the bullseye is it's only drawback to it. If only the sheen was enough that I could see myself in it---then it would be good

Old 12-22-05, 05:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
It should stick ok, a light sanding wouldn't hurt. Don't forget to reprime any areas that have respackled.

If you leave the bad patch work you will be reminded everytime you look at the walls that you didn't do it right. Shouldn't take long to do it right.

Old 12-22-05, 09:12 PM
R
Too late. I already went over some areas without sanding. Two of these areas got taped. The rock near a window wasnt close enough and the molding would be about an inch to thin. Unfortunatley the priming starting before the spackling was done... it sure is easier working alone sometimes.

Old 12-23-05, 06:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Sanding painted repairs can be chore, sometimes it is better to skim over the area with a fresh coat of mud and then sand it when dry.