How to paint 20+ foot ceilings/walls

Old 01-04-06, 04:37 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
How to paint 20+ foot ceilings/walls

I need some advice. My living room, stair case and entry ceilings soar and I do mean SOAR - 20+ feet. My house is for sale and I really need to paint these areas, however, due to financial constraints, it has to be a do it yourselfer. Can only afford the paint - not the painters. The last time it was painted, the painters said never again and mentioned scaffolding.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for painting high ceilings? It's quite a large area. Will definitely select the same color for walls and ceiling. What about spraying? HELP!

Lisa

Last edited by Lisa77429; 01-04-06 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-06, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Spraying is hardly ever cost effective in an occupied home. Unless the ceiling absolutely needs painting I would be tempted to only paint the walls.
Scaffolding would make the ceiling easier to paint. I have painted such ceilings with the use of a 16' roller pole but it is no easy job. Without scaffolding you will likely need to use a long pole and roll some areas while standing on a ladder.

Old 01-04-06, 08:10 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
marksr, I could handle just the walls but I am horrible when it comes to where the walls meet the ceiling. Even when I'm on eye level, I tend to get the wall paint on the ceiling. Trying to tape the ceiling off that high would be next to impossible. With texture, I've found that no matter how hard I smash that tape down, it still manages to bleed under. Looks like I will need to start lifting weights and exercising my arms huh? Either that or ...... <looking at a bottle of Vicodin LOL>

Thanks!

Old 01-04-06, 08:46 PM
johnsmith7145
Visiting Guest
Wow, that's a tough one.

I think you also need to consider how far back you can go in the room to use a really long extension pole. I would assume that a room with walls 20 feet high would be pretty spacious though, so it might not be a problem.

As for the cutting in and concerns about getting wall paint on the ceiling...why not do a decent band of cutting in at the top...say around 3 inches or so...Lisa, that should be enough that if you decide to use a roller and poll you wouldn't have to get that close to the top and thus not get any paint where it's not supposed to be.

And don't forget, 20 feet is pretty high up. If your cutting in doesn't look perfect, not many will be able to notice anyway.

I just did a job a while back with 15 foot ceilings. Doing cutting in from an extension ladder wasn't very much fun, and boy did it go slow. But I got it done and the customer was happy. Using a long extension pole made it easier.

Old 01-05-06, 06:31 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To DIY this project you'll need to rent scaffolding
Or at least borrow some, or one of those wacky ladders (ProWallGuy found somewhere), and I don't mean the "Giant" as seen on TV

Definitely not worth the cost and hassle as you are selling the place
Trust me, the new owners will probably paint before moving in anyway
Unless it is truly heinous, leave it be

A stairwell that needs paint is never a "deal-breaker"

Old 01-05-06, 07:46 AM
J
Get the tool that lets you attach a brush to the pole[Depot] then paint all high ceiling wall intersections with the brush on the pole. It is a little bit of a hassle with the pole being extended like 12 ft but very doable. if you get on a step ladder and have some help like someone to load the brush it is easier since the pole won't have to be extended too much

I do one every few years[office pigs] . Just make sure you go out like 4" on the wall and ceiling. at least where the wall and ceiling meet at the highest point,since it will be hard to get the roller in there at the angle, or use a roller that is meant to go behind toilets. that goes nearly anywhere.

Old 01-07-06, 06:37 AM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
wooo hooo! I did some searching for a lift and found a "genie" for the home. One man - goes up 24 feet - plugs in AND fits through the average front door. $90.00 a day rental fee. Fits in the back of a pickup truck to avoid the $100.00 delivery/return fee.

Sounds PERFECT for my job!

Old 01-07-06, 03:08 PM
S
Originally Posted by Lisa77429
wooo hooo! I did some searching for a lift and found a "genie" for the home. One man - goes up 24 feet - plugs in AND fits through the average front door. $90.00 a day rental fee. Fits in the back of a pickup truck to avoid the $100.00 delivery/return fee.

Sounds PERFECT for my job!
A "Push -Around"?
I have used those
I had to take one in an elevator up a few flights in an office building
There wasn't enough room for me
I had to send it up then run upstairs to meet it
LOL
Worked very well though
Fun too!

Have someone take your pic when you're in it

It needs a decent sized area in the landing to set up (it has legs that need to come out
Write down your space measurements and check with the rental agent before renting it

Old 01-07-06, 06:26 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
Google Genie Runabout - I think the one I spoke to the rental agent about was the "Run About Genie.... compact - on wheels - 29.5 " wide - can fit through the front door and easily used inside. Claims a tight 6" turn radius. I was on some website and it says you can drive while extended. That would be cool. There doesn't appear to be any stabilizing type legs - just a square wheeled base. Hydraulic brakes were mentioned. My floors are Pergo so I'll have no problem *sliding* my furniture around.

I'm actually getting a tiny bit excited LOL.

Old 01-07-06, 06:40 PM
S
Nice...you can drive that one
It does look like fun
No, no extensions that I can see

Maybe you can drive it down to the store to pick up your paint
lol
Just keep it under 50MPH...

I'm jealous
My rental guy doesn't have any of those
I'll have to bug him about it now

Have fun!

Old 01-07-06, 08:10 PM
J
Not to rain on your parade,but I still don't see why you need one. Why can't you use the tool I spoke of and paint the wall ceiling line and roll the rest with a roller on a pole. It even lets you put it at the angle you need.20+ feet is not that high when you subtract your height. Save your money. I am not saying it won't work. just unnecessary imo.

Old 01-07-06, 08:30 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
I'm all for saving money but I struggle painting a normal ceiling LOL. Maybe I'm just a weakling? My arms and shoulders just don't cooperate with me when it comes to overhead painting - even standard 8' ceilings. Absolutely detest it. I recently painted the smallest bedroom in the house and cussed like a sailor when it came to doing that ceiling (was nearly in tears). I'm a horrible ladder climber - start shaking 2 foot off the ground. You should see me change light bulbs... well maybe not hahaha. The room in question is actually two good size rooms and an entry - lots and lots of ceilings. Toss in a couple of beams, ceiling fans, hanging lights, arched windows and protuding ceiling lights - UGH!

It may be easy for you but it has me in a tizzy

Old 01-08-06, 08:57 AM
J
I reread your first post and noticed the only constraints were financial,no mention of physical limitations,beams, arches, FANS, just "high ceilings". That is probably why I offered my way.Most of your last post should have been included in your first post.

Anyway thank you for clearing that up. Had I known I would never suggested my way,which is not easy btw,even for joneq, just cheap.

I just reread the whole thread and discovered that nobody who gave you advice had any idea of what was involved with your project before they advised you. Not until your very last post was the project aptly described

I am not criticizing you. It is more of an observation. I try to give decent advice and I try to give it without costing anybody any unnecessary money. Knowing all that is involved in the project is best known at the beginning not the end. Joneq is many things to many people[I can hear you],but he has never been accused of being a mind reader.

Old 01-08-06, 07:05 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
You are absolutely right, I should have stated it all ... I appreciate all the advice. I'm learning - a work in progress if you will. I'm still absorbing the scope of that #$%@ room LOL. I think I'm trying to talk myself out of it by finding more obvious problems. I am waiting on an estimate from my friend's painters but based on the last time it was painted, it will probably be out of my ballpark. $99.00 rental fee, gallons and gallons of paint and free manual labor will probably be cheaper than to outright hire painters. Will hopefully know more tomorrow.

Old 01-09-06, 12:43 AM
C
Since you're dressing up the house to sell you're not married to the existing colors. You might consider painting the walls and ceiling with the same stuff. That way you avoid cutting in different colors at the ceiling/wall intersection and it becomes way easier to use tools with extension handles.

I just painted a condo with some high ceilings -- 16 foot max in livingroom and 14 ft in the kitchen. I used a three-legged "orchard" step ladder - highest usable step is 7.5 feet high. Standing on that ladder I rolled the kitchen ceiling & walls using standard rollers with extension handles and one of those foam roller gadgets made for corners which I taped to a long handle. Worked okay.

I have an airless sprayer and it was practical to spray the living room because the carpet is being replaced and the furniture is gone. Had to use a three foot extension on the spray gun. Worked well. If I didn't have a sprayer I could have used rollers as in the kitchen.

Sounds like your house might be a bit more challenging in the height department and if you're not comfortable working on ladders you're going to need help but in any case the job becomes easier if you can live with the same color for walls and ceiling.

Old 01-09-06, 05:10 AM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
Just for ease, I'm definitely sticking with ONE COLOR. I've read that you should paint high ceilings a darker shade than your walls but sorry..........a fresh coat is all I'm looking for - house is for sale. Just got a quote (supposedly discounted from a contractor friend) for $350.00 for his paint crew plus paint. I think it was around $500.00 labor last time I had it painted and they said "never again" unless I rented scaffolding for them. I think I'll do the Genie Runabout for $99.00, paint, and free manual labor - my sister, daughter and me. Sounds like a bargin now!

Thanks all! I'm going to save this project for the last - have some other things I want to attend to first. Will let you know how it works out when and if

Lisa

Old 01-25-06, 08:53 PM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
Final Note - We Did It!

YEAH! My 24' +/- walls have been completely PAINTED! TaDa We decided to skip the ceilings. We rented the smallest Genie available. It was approx 600 pounds, fit in the back of a pickup truck and went up 24+ feet. Cost $99.00 for 24 hours. Used it on laminate floors (YIPES) with no problems. Fit through my standard front door. While we had it, we switched out light fixtures at the highest points of the ceiling, de-cobwebbed, DID IT ALL Not too shabby for a couple of 50 yr old women LOL.

It turned out that this Genie wasn't the kind you could drive around while extended - the Runabout - that one was massively heavy. We ended up with the manual move around and short legs that locked down. Much lighter on the floor. Still, it was simple and COMPLETELY AWESOME! Would definitely rent it again for such a sky high job as this one.

But, when the rental company claims it is a ONE MAN show - as far as loading, unloading, etc., DON'T BELIEVE THEM. It took a lot getting it out of the truck and over the threshhold.

Old 01-26-06, 03:23 AM
S
YEAH! My 24' +/- walls have been completely PAINTED! TaDa
...and the villagers rejoiced
Villagers (All): Hurray!

Thanks for the update and review
Congrats

Old 01-26-06, 05:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
But, when the rental company claims it is a ONE MAN show - as far as loading, unloading, etc., DON'T BELIEVE THEM. It took a lot getting it out of the truck and over the threshhold.

A lot depends on the man. When I was young I never had problems loading and unloading heavy equipment. Took pride in the fact that I easily did a lot that others struggled with but now that I'm old with a wore out back all I can do is talk about what I used to do

It never hurts to have help when dealing with anything that is either heavy or awkward.

Old 01-27-06, 09:05 AM
Lisa77429
Visiting Guest
I hear you about the *youth* factor - sheese, the stuff I used to could do? I told my 24 yr old daughter just recently that while she might feel strong as an ox NOW, to remember that she will probably pay for it 20 years down the road.

Actually it took TWO strapping young men (employees of the rental company) to load it. Honestly, it went in the truck much easier than it came out of the truck. I had them come pick it up for an outragious fee because I was afraid it would damage my neighbor's truck The driver was a big guy with a lift truck and HE struggled. He let it hit my front door and took a gouge out of it. In this case, I truly don't think it was just an age thing.

End result - IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!! The paint job that is LOL.