How much area do you apply the primer?

Old 01-09-06, 11:10 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much area do you apply the primer?

I recently removed all cabinets in my kitchen; patched all holes; sanded to the best I could. I believe I do need to prime first, since there are at least 3 kinds of old paint colors in various places; new patch work; some drywall showing, etc.

My question is: how detail do I have to be with primer? Do I need to paint over the whole ceiling, walls, cutting in first, and use tapes to cover fixtures? Or, do I only need to basically cover the darker areas and make sure all is somewhat uniformed in the primer color (white)?

Thanks

Old 01-09-06, 11:49 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a bit of a hodge podge there
I'd prime the whole thing

Old 01-09-06, 05:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Any unpainted repairs need to be primed. I agree with slickshift, go ahead and prime it all. You can fudge a little on the cut in if it doesn't affect how the next coat will cover.

Old 01-09-06, 06:03 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joneq must be the only guy that cleans before he paints. You must thoroughly clean all painted areas including the ceiling before doing anything. Especially in the kitchen.

What kind of paint is on the wall now oil, latex, gloss. semigloss.It makes a difference. You cannot just paint semi gloss or gloss paint . If it is oil based paint you cannot prime with latex primer. If you do not know what you have use Bullseye 123 or Coverstain to prime everything after you completely degrease and clean.

The primer can be tinted close to your finish color. It does not have to be white. unless you plan on painting white or close to it. If you are not painting pure white I would tint it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: