Painting over sponged on Faux finish

Old 01-09-06, 12:14 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over sponged on Faux finish

Is there any science to painting over this or do I approach it in a "normal" manner?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-06, 05:05 PM
J
I would prime it with Bullseye 123 tinted toward the finish color as close as possible. Most of the Faux glazes are oil based and latex is not cool over oil. Could be a latex glaze though,but probably not. 123 goes over pretty much anything.

You are not trying to hide the sponge texture with paint are you?

Old 01-09-06, 05:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I would sand and then prime. If the sponge texture is very prominent you may need to skim coat the wall to make every thing smooth.

Old 01-09-06, 10:24 PM
B
There's a good chance the glaze is water-based. Some water-based glazes need a sealer to protect them, I think McCormack is one such label. It could also be the sponged paint was plain old latex paint.

Test a spot with water to see if it runs or washes off. If not, sand and prime.

Updated: the brand is McKlosky, not McCormack. Sorry for any confusion, but its been 5-6 years since I used it.

Last edited by BobF; 01-12-06 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-10-06, 06:49 AM
C
Thanks folks. I was wondering about the sanding prior - of course, hoping I could just slap some prime and paint on it.

I'm not in this out of state house yet but sitting here looking at pictures that I took. In one or two rooms, that stuff has got to go!

BobF - I would have never thought about a water-base being used. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 01-10-06, 08:13 AM
J
If you would have read my reply you would find out that you can indeed slap on a primer and paint without sanding[I never said to sand before priming]. There is no need to sand and it does not matter what the glaze is made of. Bullseye 123 will work.

If you do not know now what is on the wall,and it seems you do not, you should not,in my opinion, skip the priming with 123.Even if it did run or wipe off with water I would prime because you have no idea what the consistency of the glaze was. If it runs it it surely crap. and it wipes off it is not much better. Prime it and possibly save yourself a lot of aggrivation.

For you info Latex is, in effect, water based.

" Most of the Faux glazes are oil based and latex is not cool over oil. Could be a latex glaze though,but probably not"----joneq--- first post

The heads up was there all the time. Let me thank myself. Thank you joneq.

It never ceases to amaze me that it is more important who says it rather than what is said.It is rather funny to see it happen so often .