Brand of paint?

Old 01-12-06, 02:10 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brand of paint?

Our new house is being sheetrocked and soon my wife and I need to start doing the interior painting. A local store and friend sells Valspar Integrity Premium paint and it runs about $20/ gallon. Is anyone familiar with this paint and is it any good? I'm very open to suggestions for other brands as i know very little about the different paints, I just see the price difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-06, 02:24 PM
J
I would not hesitate to use it. Sounds good---if the website is right.I am a little suspicious of one coat coverage though.Now if they paid for the labor and the paint if it needed 2 coats that would be better

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/integrity.jsp

Old 01-12-06, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I've not used any valspar paint in about 30+yrs. They used to make a great exterior oil paint so I assume they have good products. What does $20 buy? You will need to use at least 4 different types of paint. You need wall primer, flat wall paint, latex enamel for kitch & bath, and ceiling paint. For the wood work you will need stain & varnish or undercoater & enamel.

Any paint store [not dept] can help you chose the right type of materials and give a rough estimate on how much will be needed. Have your friend help you determine a rough material estimate and then do the same at SWP or BenMoore. Also remember all stores that sell good paint usually have a line of cheap paint also. You usually get what you pay for.

Old 01-12-06, 06:12 PM
S
Never heard of or used Valspar

I can recommend the Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, or Pittsburg quality lines
Worth every penny if you are DIYing it

Old 01-12-06, 06:37 PM
J
Valspar makes good paint. Ever hear of plasti-coat or fleckstone=valspar. They also make autopaint like Sw does. Ever heard of McClosky=valspar. They have been aroungd a long time. It[their house paint] is not available where I live,but I think I would try it,or at least not object to someone who wanted to put it on my house.

Actually the more I read about it the more I wish it was available around here. I might switch from Behrs'

Old 01-12-06, 09:43 PM
F
Thanks so much for the responses. The $20 figure was for the eggshell wall paint, although i don't know if that is just for white or if you can get color for that price also. The primer was cheaper about 14 i think. And the "ceiling paint"
was also a little lower about 15 which was a flat paint. And they recommended satin or semigloss for the bathrooms. The trim we don't have to worry about as it is getting prefinshed at the millwork factory to match our cabinets and doors.
Another question is should we use flat on the ceilings? Some people have told us to use it because of the better coverage and others have advised against it
because it doesn't clean up very well. Thanks for your responses.

Old 01-13-06, 05:54 AM
J
Ceiling paint is made for ceilings,and from my experience it doesn't have to clean up well,since people really never clean their ceilings[not saying you won't] until it is time to repaint and maybe not then.I have never had a customer ask me how well the ceiling will clean up.

They will clean up OK if you clean the whole ceiling rather than just a spot. I routinely do this and the ceilings with ceiling paint do not look bad when the whole thing is cleaned. Flat paint does not clean up so well either as a matter of fact.

Ceiling paint it made to reflect light and is not as durable as wall paint. You can use flat paint or any other paint you desire though.Those prices for the other paints are typical.They may charge you extra for custom colors so try to pick a stock color. It should not be too much so don't let it stop you from getting the color you want. It can't cost them too much since the Depot will tint their paint to any color for free. I am not implying you should use Behr paint. I do need to qualify these things you know.

Semi-gloss is out as far as I am concerned for any walls. It looks bad-cheap imo.Even in the bathroom I hate it always.Eggshell looks good and can be washed.

Zinsser.com sells good BR paint. It is washable and a lot more.

Old 01-13-06, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
I would recomend flat for the ceilings, as joneq pointed out hardly anyone washes ceilings. Flat usually looks better on the ceiling as it is less likely to show any defects whether it be from framing, sheetrock finishing or painting.
I would however suggest using an enamel [satin is fine] in any bath rm ceiling that has a shower.

It has been my experience that any enamel used on walls [new work] looks best when 1 coat primer and 2 coats enamel is used.

Don't forget to sweep the dust off the walls before priming