how much should it cost to have a room painted?

Old 01-16-06, 04:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how much should it cost to have a room painted?

just curious, assuming a average-size bedroom(older home - say 200 sf), with trim for 1 window, one door, and one standard closet, and assuming a decent quality prep job and the homeowner providing the paint and the contractor providing supplies, what is a reasonable dollar range for that job?

Thanks
Brian

Old 01-16-06, 05:07 PM
S
This is really a site for DIY info but...

...I will answer as best I can because it may be interesting information to potenial DIY painters also considering hiring a contractor

That price will vary greatly depending on where you live
And I do mean greatly

A reasonable cost here where I am would be almost twice what it would be in Wisconsin
Of course, my house would have cost less than half as much if it were in Wisconsin
Lol

But anyway...
What is reasonable for your area might be a better question

Usually the best guide is to get three bids for the job
That will tell you a lot right there
If they are all in the ball park, or one is real high or real low, that tells you something
What's written into the contract will tell you a lot
The exact steps for prep and paint
Is the contractor insured? registered? licensed if needed?

I can tell you:
There's no such thing as a decent prep job
It's either done well and correctly, or the paint job risks failure

Also:
I almost never let a client purchase the paint
Don't get me wrong, I don't make any money off paint sales
I get a discount, but it hardly ever covers the cost of going to the shop and picking it up
I insist on it for quality control
I know what the good paints are and what they can and will do in various circumstances
If a client pays for and picks up the paint, it enters an unknown into the mix
All paint is not created equal

I mention this to let you know, if I pay for the paint, it will be one price for the job and it will be warrantied for two years
If, for some reason, I let you pay for and pick up the paint, I would charge you more for the job because of the unknown factor
Much more than the paint would have cost you had you let me buy it
I would have to figure that it may need three coats
It would also void the warranty

Paying me to put up a third coat of paint (whether I need to or not) would be much more than any money "saved" by you buying the paint
I really don't make money on paint

There are many, many, other factors to weigh here, depending on why you are asking this question
For example:
If you are asking to check up on a bid you rec'd, you'll need to post up the particulars of the company (insured, licensed, years in biz, etc...) and the contract (what prep steps will be taken, warranty, etc...)

If you are asking because your cousin wants to paint your house because he's in between jobs and you want to give him a fair wage, well...no offense but he shouldn't get what I would get
Unless he is a pro with years of experience and insurance and registered...etc...

If you are asking just to get a ball park, well, most of what you'd get are guesses unless we know where you are and actually see the room
But if you think it'll help, I'm game

So, if you'd like to post up any more info, maybe one of the pros here could be more specific

Old 01-16-06, 05:19 PM
B
ok, I guess I should have included a few more details, thanks:

1)this is a friend's house. I thought the cost sounded high, but really had no context for that.
2) the cost is 1,200
3) the contractor is unlicensed, unbonded, inunsured, and probably illegal (she says he asked for a blank check)
4) San Francisco row house (plaster, in basically good condition)
5) Just updating the existing paint with same color

Old 01-16-06, 05:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree with what slickshift said. There are too many variables to give a price - sight unseen.

Old 01-16-06, 05:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by bjs5334
2) the cost is 1,200

I hope those are pesos. I can't see any reason for it to be but a 1 day job. I know cost of living is higher on the west coast but I believe your friend needs to get a few more quotes.

Also never ever give any contractor money up front. Any good paint contractor has credit and wouldn't expect payment until the job is done and customer satisfied.

Old 01-16-06, 05:52 PM
S
Yeah I sorta dropped a jaw at that one also
I did my "bid" and added the San Francisco adjustments
...I came up with $1128
That shocked me

Now you must keep in mind, that's a professional, 19 years experienced, insured, licensed, registered, proper prep, two years warrantied, materials (paint and sundries) included

The "contractor" you described should be getting 1/3, maybe 1/2 of that
No way he should get 1200
And I would have to mention that there are many factors your friend may not be aware of
The liability to the homeowner if a guy working w/o insurance there gets hurt...the job quality...

My suggestion:
Run Forrest, Run!

No matter what they should get a few more bids

Well, that sorta proves my point about the area in which you live varying greatly
Just don't tell anyone from Wisconsin how much it costs to paint a room in San Francisco

Apparently San Francisco beats out Manhattan and is only topped by parts of Alaska for the highest rates
Not all of Alaska, just the Aleutian Islands

Old 01-16-06, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
$1200?
No insurance?
Not bonded?
No license?
Wants a blank check?

Why would anybody even consider hiring this person?

My bid for such a room would be +/- $500. Add for west coast COL and maybe it comes to $750-$825.

Old 01-16-06, 06:27 PM
S
Originally Posted by bjs5334
5) Just updating the existing paint with same color
Oops, I figured two coats
Updating the existing color would only be one coat

Old 01-17-06, 07:38 AM
B
Thanks Everyone for the input, very helpful - I know this is supposed to be a DIY help-site...

Brian

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: