Did I get bad advice?

Old 01-17-06, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did I get bad advice?

Hi,
Reno'ing a duplex and decided to paint the varnished cupboards. I went to General Paints and asked for a oil based primer but wanted to try something other than Kilz, which I have always used.
The SA recommended zinsser 123 latex primer. I disagreed with a latex but she assured me it was perfect and she had used it herself. After half an hour of discussion, I agreed to use it.
I washed the cupboards with amonia and water, then rinsed, as recommended, (I usually use TSP but the can specifically said not to use TSP) then I sanded lightly, just to be safe. The primer seems to have zero adhesion. If I scratch it with my fingernail, it comes off.
Once I had primed it, I decided to keep going cause it would have been so much work to remove. I used a high gloss latex over it.
I'm hoping it will dry to a hard coat. No one is moving in until Feb 1 so it has lots of time to cure.
Should I have followed through with the oil based primer?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 07:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I always recomend using a solvent based primer over varnish/poly. I believe it would have given better results. Since you have already completred the job I would take a wait and see attitude. Hopefully it will wear well.

Old 01-18-06, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
I would go back to the store and let them know - if this was the wrong product, you should be entitled to a refund or a can of the proper stuff for free. I would try to talk to a manager to get someone with more knowledge than the associate you dealt with before.

Old 01-18-06, 09:06 AM
Since I posted this, I went to the zinsser web site and see that they spec "Bin" for cabinets, which is another product I had mentioned using.

I will print that out and head back to the GP store. I'm going to try to get something out of them without burning a bridge.

The site also mentioned that primers can take up to 14 days to cure so maybe this will work out yet.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-18-06, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by mjd2k
...she assured me it was perfect and she had used it herself.
That's...possible...she may very well have used it and it worked OK
That is certainly not always the case in this type of situation
Like marksr, I would recommend a solvent-based primer
Personally I tend to use the BIN for this type of project

I hope it works out OK for you too, mjd2k
Please keep us posted