can I paint my hinges?

Old 02-01-06, 03:47 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I paint my hinges?

I'm in the process of painting my old kitchen cabinets white. I was going to replace my hinges but new ones wouldn't fit, so is it possible to paint them white like my cabinets?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-06, 05:07 PM
S
It depends on the type of hinges, but usually not
Part of the hinge usually rubs another and scrapes off part of the paint rather quickly

Some types of hinges you can, but not many, and have it still look good

Old 02-01-06, 05:21 PM
B
How old are these cabinets?

Aside from the big box stores, where did you look for new hinges? Have you searched the internet? Are there any old hdwr stores in town? Some of the really old ones may have what you are looking for.

Old 02-02-06, 09:27 AM
W
You could probably use an automotive-grade spay paint on the hinges. But, I think it would still wear off where the hinges rub together, and be noticeable, especially with white paint. It may be best to buy new hinges. Hinges come in a variety sizes and styles, so you have to make sure you are getting the correct type of replacement hinge.

If your local hardware store doesnít have what you need, they may be able to order what you need. Also, the Internet is a very convenient way to shop for hard to find items. Ovis has a nice selection of cabinet hardware. Iíve purchased from them and have been very pleased with the quality and service.

http://www.ovisonline.com/

Old 02-02-06, 09:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
The thinner the coat of paint on hinges the longer the paint will stick but with the close tolerances sooner or later the paint will wear off in places. Painting them white will make it even more noticable when the paint wears thru.