New Construction - Wall Imperfections driving me nuts!!!

Old 02-25-06, 05:15 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Construction - Wall Imperfections driving me nuts!!!

Hello All;

I have a new home. I made the mistake of using Behr Products. I applied 1 coat of primer + 1 coat of paint and it seems like sooooo many defects are showing through. I used an egshell finish.

The sight of these imperfections is driving me nuts...especially since i now have no money thanks to this stinkin house .

I've read the recent post about the Shermin William Super Paint being a great paint...would a paint like that help to make my walls look nice?

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 02-25-06, 05:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am not an expert on paints, but, I was not aware that they were used for hiding imperfections. I thought that was done before the walls were painted. Unless you are using a texture paint. Good luck.

Old 02-25-06, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Sounds like you have several problems. The drywall should be in good shape prior to painting. You can still go back and repair any defects. Don't forget to sand and prime any additional mud.

I have always said that cheaper paints [especially builders grade] only color the wall and don't provide a real paint job. Also eggshell/satin paint is very hard to get a good finish with on new construction with out applying 3 coats [1 primer & 2 finish] Eggshell because of its sheen will highlight defects more than a flat will.

I would recomend sanding and filling any defects. Prime them and apply a coat of eggshell over the repairs. SWP's super paint is good quality paint and well worth the price. They also have a contractors line, Promar 200 is the top of this line and I almost exclusively use it on new construction. It should give you good results as a final coat with lower price than super paint.

Old 03-04-06, 11:14 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the builder did a poor job with the drywall, it may take a lot of patching and sanding to get the walls straight and smooth.

Also, more gloss and more light = more visible flaws. For example, a lot of natural light seems to show many imperfections. On a sunny afternoon, in a room with large windows facing south, sometimes even the slightest imperfections will show on satin walls. I generally use and recommend two coats of high quality washable flat or matte paint for most walls. In a kitchen or bathroom, satin may be a better choice.

Old 03-04-06, 12:59 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
As posted above, now that you can really see imperfections, fix as many as well as you can
Then paint with a good quality paint like the Super Paint
The walls should look much better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: