Flashing Help???!!!!

Old 02-27-06, 12:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Flashing Help???!!!!

I just finished my basement and had someone tape and texture it using the orange peel texture. When started priming (Zinseer 123) my problems first started. After I primed the wall you could see areas of that appeared to not be covered by the primer, so after the primer dried I decided to put another coat of primer on it and got the same splochy areas. I know primer doesn't look good going on so I decided to paint next. I am using a Shermin Williams paint (duration) Dover white to be exact. I started painting the walls and the same areas the primer looked bad the paint was doing the same thing, so next i decided to put another coat of paint on to cover the areas. Sure enough it still looked the same very splochy. I am not sure what to do now?? Please help. I have heard this is called fashing?, but I am not sure?? Any idea on what caused this or how to fix it?

Thanks
Very confused

Old 02-27-06, 05:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Did you sand the walls any between coats? I doubt that the paint would flash inside the house. Assuming that the problem areas aren't where the cut in and roller meet, I doubt it is a problem with the paint or painting procedure. I'm inclined to believe that it is a problem with the texture not being even or maybe in the drywall hanging or finishing.

Duration is good paint and Dover White is fairly forgiving as far as colors go. Did you have good paint conditions - warm air, warm wall? Unless the wall/air temp was less than 50` before,during and after painting it is unlikely that the paint would be at fault. Do these areas only show up at certain angles or lighting? Where exactly are these splotchy areas? Can you describe them anymore?

Old 03-01-06, 03:16 PM
D
Confused

marksr,

Thanks for your reply.

No I didn't sand in between coats of paint, as I am unaware that you can sand orange peel texture. What are the problems that could be happening when you said "I'm inclined to believe that it is a problem with the texture not being even or maybe in the drywall hanging or finishing" I hired a so called professional I found in the yellow pages and if the finishing could be a problem I am no sure how to correct it. What are some example of each problems.

The painting conditions were good beings they were inside the house most likely it would be considered room temp. The blochy area shows up the most when you are standing looking down the walls in at an angle. I am using a fluorescent light when I am painting as I don't have anyother lights. The spots also show up when the natural light is coming in from outside, again mostly when looking down the wall and in the celing.

The splotchy areas are when you are looking certain area's on the wall that seem to not be taking primer or paint. When you first put the primer on it looks like you have it covered but as it dries certain areas on the wall appear not to have been primes and are a lighter color. I thought this may be just from the primer but the same thing happened in the same area's after two coats of paint.

Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks again

Darrin

Old 03-01-06, 03:54 PM
S
I don't think it's the paint flashing Darrin
Flashing is a sheen change in paint
It is fixed by another coat of paint

I think you've got some wall issues here, not paint issues
You may want to call the taper back in

Old 03-01-06, 05:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The problem is probably uneven texture. Can you see or feel any difference in the texture? Sometimes there can be areas where the drywall is uneven [bowwed studs] or the finishing may not have been the best. Also if the orange peel texture isn't consistent - it may look different with paint. Flat paint is more forgiving as any sheen tends to point out defects.

I agree with slickshift - it would be good to call your contractor back to look at the problem.

BTW I often take a pole sander and give the orange peel a very light sanding [just to remove any bumps/spits] prior to priming and then sand lightly between coats.

Old 03-02-06, 07:13 AM
D
Were the walls primed before the texture was applied?(they should have been) and then again after texture was applied. Prime, texture, prime, 2 coats topcoat. Taking marksr's advice of a light sanding is sage advice, it knocks down the very small rough spots in the texture which prevent the paint from giving the consistent look. Another coat of paint may help to even out the bad areas

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: