Painting Exterior?

Old 03-03-06, 02:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Exterior?

I am preparing to paint the exterior of our house, I am looking to do it economically. However, I want good quality paint. I plan to side in the future, though if my plans fall through the roof, I want to fall back on a decent paint job. I am thinking of renting one of those prof. paint sprayers, is it worth it? Also What type of paint latex, or oil base? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 02:46 PM
S
As spraying involves a learning curve, I don't recommend it off-hand
The potenial for disaster is high
It also adds another expense to your project

What type of surface is being painted?

Old 03-03-06, 02:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
What type of paint is on it now? What condition is it in?

Unless you have spraying experience I agree with slick that you might be better off not renting one.
Depending on the application, brushed paint will be worked onto the surface better. You can find the right paint for the job at your local paint store [not dept]

Old 03-03-06, 04:01 PM
L

I am painting wood siding. I am not sure what type of paint is on there now. It is chipping and pealing. So I believe I will have to primer then top coat, correct? Do I need to primer whole house or only exposed wood. Also, thought about renting one of those electric paint strippers, yeah or neah? Thanks

Old 03-05-06, 07:59 AM
N
1. pressure wash
2. sand/scrape bad areas
3. a GOOD oil-based primer
4. top-coat w/either BenMoore/SW latex paint(or ppg timeless).

You can spot prime, but if it was my house I would prime the whole thing.

That is the best way, you can do other methods but you might be re-doing it down the road.

Old 03-05-06, 10:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
When it comes to priming each job can be different. All raw wood needs priming, any chaulky residue that can't be washed off needs priming. When applying latex over oil paint it is often benificial to prime first. Spot priming is all that is needed but there comes a point when it is easier to prime it all.

Old 03-05-06, 10:48 AM
S
Rent a stripper only if you need to strip the whole house (the peeling is real bad)
Scraping and sanding is usually best

I wouldn't recommend a sprayer for this case either
This is a project that is best done by hand

Old 03-05-06, 01:24 PM
B
And be careful with the pressure washer or you will do more damage than good. Don't use a lot of pressure and don't use the narrow tips.

Old 03-06-06, 08:47 PM
N
Originally Posted by BobF
And be careful with the pressure washer or you will do more damage than good. Don't use a lot of pressure and don't use the narrow tips.
I do agree with you, but I live in the deep south where the mildew runs rampant, you must get that off, and pressure washing is the method of choice.

Old 03-07-06, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by noleguy33
II live in the deep south where the mildew runs rampant, you must get that off, and pressure washing is the method of choice.

I used to live in fla, ga & alabama, pressure washing can make getting a house ready for paint easier BUT a bleach solution is still the best method of removing/killing mildew. I have seen houses where the incorrect use of a pressure washer has ate up siding and even caused water infiltration at windows and doors Spraying a bleach solution on a house and rinsing with a water hose can be very effective - using a pressure washer just makes the job easier.

Old 03-08-06, 09:38 AM
N
Originally Posted by marksr
I used to live in fla, ga & alabama, pressure washing can make getting a house ready for paint easier BUT a bleach solution is still the best method of removing/killing mildew. I have seen houses where the incorrect use of a pressure washer has ate up siding and even caused water infiltration at windows and doors Spraying a bleach solution on a house and rinsing with a water hose can be very effective - using a pressure washer just makes the job easier.
I usually run the bleach through the pressure washer

Throw the bleach up there w/a chemical tip, and use a nice soft tip to blast the bleach off... but yes, using the wrong tip/pressure can eat up siding very fast.(I did it w/some asbestos siding)

Old 03-08-06, 09:41 AM
W
Originally Posted by noleguy33
I usually run the bleach through the pressure washer
My pressure washer has warnings to not run bleach through it, says it will eat the seals.

Old 03-08-06, 09:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Although my pressure washer has the chemical pickup function I never use it. I have always found it easier and more effective to run the bleach mixture through a pump up garden sprayer.