A better paint?

Old 03-22-06, 10:52 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question A better paint?

Hi.
I'm new to this forum. I got a price from a contractor to paint my house, (BIG $ so I was thinking of doing it myself). I told him that I wanted to use California paints. He said great choice, and he would add some linseed oil and some naptha to the primer to make it even better.
Has anyone here ever heard about doing this to the primer to make it "better".
Thanks, Ron

Old 03-22-06, 11:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums

I am not familiar with california paints but do know that sometimes local paint manufactures make paint equal or superior to major brands for that particular region.

Naptha is used to thin the paint/primer. Sometimes this aides in letting the primer soak into the wood better. Sometimes thinner is necesarry to make the paint work better - depending on conditions.

Linseed oil isn't used much any more but can be benificial especially for old dried out wood.

Painting practices will vary some in different locales. As with any work being hired out it is always wise to get several bids. This will help you decide both if the price is right and what is usually done on a job like yours.

Old 03-22-06, 12:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A better paint?

California Paint is actually a New England Manufacturer(what I've been told). The painting contractor told me the linseed oil was in fact to help the old clapboards re-juvinate themselves, and the naptha was to help speed up the "drying" process that the linseed oil had slowed down. I was hoping that some body could tell me if this was a good or bad, usefull or not, idea and what proportions of each to add to the gallon/5 gallon can

Thanks, Ron

Old 03-22-06, 05:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't know that I would want to apply latex over linseed oil fortified primer but there is no problem with applying oil base paint over it. If it is just a normal repaint I doubt it would be necesarry but if there is a lot of weathered wood it can be benificial. I have heard of severly weathered wood first being coated with linseed oil cut 50% with thinner before priming. It is really hard to say without seeing the wood to tell if it would be benificial and how much you would want to add to the primer. If your painter has a good reputation I would be inclined to trust his judgement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: