Spraying interior paint

Old 03-23-06, 03:57 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spraying interior paint

Can anyone tell me what kind of interior paint and reducer or water, I could use to spray garage walls with.There is some kind of textured covering on the wall and I want to spray over it.
I have to paint my moms garage and I want to take my compressor and use a gravity feed gun (HVLP Gun).
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
ZZ

Old 03-23-06, 06:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
Sorry, your paint gun is for solvent based finishes. To thin latex paint down enough so it would spray would make the paint so thin that it would neither cover or lay on the wall without running. Also whenever you attempt to spray latex with air power the air will dry the latex clogging the tip. Latex is always sprayed with an airless.

A 3/4" roller cover should work well to apply the paint.

Old 03-24-06, 06:01 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zzjonze
I have to paint my moms garage and I want to take my compressor and use a gravity feed gun (HVLP Gun).
That would be the wrong tool for this project
I would not recommend it
marksr summed it up pretty well

Old 03-24-06, 07:09 AM
the wood crafts i make i use a gravity feed gun,i also use outside house paint in it.this is used every day because we have almost gotten over are head with this stuff.we do not have to thin it much at all.but for what you are doing i would use a roller because you will have to go over it a lot to cover it like you want.we had to hand paint this crafts till i got this $8 gun that saves use big time.

Old 03-24-06, 07:37 AM
Z
Actually it was about what I thought, and I do not want to ruin an expensive gun. I do have a one of those power painters but it is about more hassle than it is worth, I still have to roll it after spray it.
I guess I'll have to get the old brush and rollers out.
Thank You all for your replies,
Have a good weekend and warm weather for you all.
ZZ

Old 03-24-06, 07:38 AM
Z
Actually that was about what I thought, and I do not want to ruin an expensive gun. I do have a one of those power painters but it is about more hassle than it is worth, I still have to roll it after spray with it.
I guess I'll have to get the old brush and rollers out.
Thank You all for your replies,
Have a good weekend and warm weather for you all.
ZZ

Old 03-24-06, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
The best way to paint large areas that will be using several gallons of paint, is to get a roller screen that hangs in a 5 gallon bucket, and dip your roller right in the bucket. Using a paint pole on your roller handle speeds it up tremendously, because you can paint without a ladder, and coat the entire wall at once. A lot of people aren't aware of these basic methods, so I thought I'd mention it.

It drives me nuts when I see those home shows on TV and the people are using a roller in their hands, and they're painting a random area right in front of them. That must be right before they get them off camera and get the professional painters in there.

Old 03-31-06, 08:09 AM
W
You can certainly spray latex paint with an HVLP gun if you have a large tip. It's just a very slow process compared to an airless sprayer. So usually an HVLP gun is only used for interior door, trim or kitchen cabinets.

If you decide to try it on a textured surface keep in mind that you'll probably need to backroll it to get in good contact with the surface.

In many cases you won't save time, but hey, if this is the odd job and you hate painting and the gun sounds like more fun for you, you might give it a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: