HELP: Bizarre bathroom paint failure!

Old 03-26-06, 12:01 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP: Bizarre bathroom paint failure!

Hello,

The paint on our bathroom walls and ceiling has split in several areas. Not sure how or when this happened, it was this way when we bought the house. But now that we are ready to redo the bath I have no idea how to fix it or cover it. I also know that at least some of the paint layers contain lead. Please help! I am not thrilled by the thought of heat gunning or stripping the whole room!

Last edited by manlem01; 03-26-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 06:21 PM
S
If that was my bathroom it would be a complete re-do with new drywall. It will take a miracle to make that look good again.

Old 03-26-06, 06:35 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That vent/fan unit does not look large enough to adequately exhaust humidity from bathroom. That can be remedied when walls are redone.

Old 03-26-06, 06:35 PM
M
I hear you, but I am working with the original lathe and plaster here. Tearing that out is also daunting. Is there really nothing I can do?

Old 03-26-06, 07:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It can be repaired. All the loose needs to be removed and then the rest can be floated smooth with joint compound.

You don't want to play around with lead paint. Some locales have strick guidlines and regulations for containing and disposing of lead. Even if it isn't regulated where you are you still want to be safe. You need to use a dust mask [maybe respirator], contain and dispose of the mess properly. You should research how to deal with lead before starting any work - or call a lead abatement professional.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: