exterior paint advice needed

Old 03-27-06, 04:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior paint advice needed

We will be painting the exterior of our home this spring. We are looking for a quality paint that will hold up well to the elements. Our home is large and takes about 32 gallons (one coat). The last two paintings did not hold up well and only lasted a few years. Any recommendations and advice on painting would be helpful.

Also, if we use a spray paint gun, would we have to brush the paint in after spraying it on. Someone told us this is the way to do it? So what's the point of using a spray gun?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-06, 05:01 PM
L
ll

32 gallons brush application, must be a good size house. what kind of paint did u use on it the last few times ? to answer your question on the spraying, even if you back-brush sprayer can eliminate time, a sprayer can apply paint faster and easier then your hand and a brush. as far as your project if spraying would save time. that would all depend on the amount of pre-spray prep. taping. covering ect to make sure you have everything covered. sometimes spraying isnt always faster just depends on the amount of things you would have to cover. and the surface being painted also can be a factor. if you could post a pic of your home i could tell ya if this is a spray worthy project, as far as paint goes i think sherwin williams duration is a good product.also the key to a lasting paint job is proper prep. what kind of siding is on your home ?

Old 03-27-06, 05:11 PM
S
Yes what type of siding is it?

Old 03-27-06, 06:23 PM
C
We used Olympic paint in the past. It is wood siding. I'm not sure how to post a picture but I will try tomorrow.

Old 03-27-06, 07:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
The main reason for back brushing the sprayed on paint is to work the paint into the surface. Spray applied paint may not coat completely due to the angle of the spray, brushing will assure that all surfaces are coated. I have sprayed, back brushed and sprayed again for maximum coverage but this isn't advisable for all applications.

The 2 keys for a long lasting paint job is proper prep and use of quality materials. As previously mentioned SWPs duration is great paint, their super paint is also good [not as pricey] Ben Moore also has quality paint, slickshift can tell you the specific names.