Baseboards with Carpet

Old 04-02-06, 10:16 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baseboards with Carpet

What is the best way to paint Baseboards with a heavy pile carpet against it? I know I could pull back the carpet, but it seems like a lot of work and could end up having to restretch the carpet. I have seen those baseboard painting strips at HD ( plastic with an angle to them, about 3 feet long ).
It seems that you would have to weigh them down with something in order to keep the carpet compressed.
I have used painters tape before on the carpet, carefully wraping the edge of the tape down, but you cannot usually get the paint low enough on the baseboard.
Am I missing a trick to do this job in about 4 rooms?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-06, 10:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by whatifjohn
I have used painters tape before on the carpet, carefully wraping the edge of the tape down, but you cannot usually get the paint low enough on the baseboard.

Why? This is the method I use most often and with no problems. I use 2" tape to both push the pile down and to protect it from paint - also keeps carpet fibers from being picked up by the paint

A shield can also be used but you have to be deligent about wiping it clean when you move it. It may also allow the carpet to bounce back and stick to the fresh paint when removed.

Old 04-02-06, 11:10 AM
Masking tape works best, especially if the pros say thats what to use.

Sometimes, if the baseboards aren't too tight to the carpet, I have taken brown masking paper that comes in 6 inch rolls, rolled it out and pushed the edge under the baseboard with a putty knife or even by hand. Then its impossible to get paint on the carpet.

Old 04-02-06, 11:48 AM
W
I have used tape doing this before.
The problem I have is that I can't get the tape low enough, no way to get it under the baseboard. Then if you take the tape off before its dry, you wind up with paint on the carpet or fibre on the paint. If you let it dry first, then you risk peeling the paint when removing the tape. I have even used a utility knife to cut the paint/tape line as low as possible.
The carpet is very tight against the baseboard. I even have pulled the carpet off the the carpet strips, pulled it back about 6",but in this case you have to have a means to hold the carpet back around the whole room til the paint drys.

Old 04-02-06, 07:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Generally the base doesn't need to be repainted all the way to the bottom as the carpet will hide the very bottom of the base.

If you tape the carpet and not the base, cut in the paint on the base trying to keep the paint off of the tape, once dry there won't be a bond of paint connecting the base and tape. The tape can then be removed with no problems [once the paint is dry]

Old 04-03-06, 08:07 PM
W
Thick, tight-fitting carpet is a challenge when painting baseboards. I use two-inch painter's tape to cover the carpet, and tuck it down with a putty knife. I don't try to get the tape under the baseboard, but just "low enough." As Mark said, you don't need to paint all the way to the bottom edge on the baseboard, as the carpet will hide the bottom edge, and try to keep paint off the tape. I let the paint dry before removing the tape. If I do get paint on the tape, I cut the "seal" with a utility knife to avoid pulling paint off the baseboard.

Old 04-04-06, 06:44 AM
S
I use a a Hyde "guard"
It's a long blade, maybe 20", with a plastic handle
It's also used for paper-hanging, so may be in the wallpaper section

Old 05-02-06, 02:04 PM
the Hyde-guard sounds like the straight edge I use. You do have to be careful about keeping it wiped down and I try not to load the brush too heavily when painting near the bottom of the baseboard. If I was to do some heavy napped carpet, a combination of tape/ paper along with the straight edge sounds good to protect the carpet until the paint starts to dry.