freezing paintbrushes

Old 04-03-06, 02:35 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
freezing paintbrushes

I have frozen paint brushes and rollers for later use (a day or two) for latex paint, but can you do the same thing for oil paint? (the object was to freeze the paint brushes and rollers rather than washing them between coats)

thanks,

Old 04-03-06, 03:33 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Freezing would be ok for oil, but you shouldn't freeze latex. You don't want any paint to freeze and latex will at freezer temperatures since it's water based. Oil based would require a much lower temperature than a freezer.

Old 04-03-06, 03:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
You should never freeze latex paint, even though it is a small amount of paint in the brush/roller, freezing will damage the paint and may cause problems when mixed with fresh paint.

Oil base is another story, it is ok to wrap and freeze oil base tools, although they will be stiff when removed from freezer they will thaw shortly with no damage to the paint.

In cool weather either latex or oil will keep [for 24 hrs] by just wrapping the tool tightly in plastic.

Old 04-03-06, 03:42 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are going to use the brush within 24 hours just stick it in a ziplock bag.

Old 04-04-06, 05:55 AM
S
Ziploc or foil

Old 04-04-06, 06:21 AM
C
latex

I already froze some rollers with latex paint on last summer. I don't know that I experienced any problems, but I can quit it if you say there is a problem. What exactly is the problem I was supposed to experience?

Old 04-04-06, 06:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Paint can be ruined if it freezes. As I mentioned, the freezing point for oil based paint is so low that it's not going to freeze in your freezer, so it would be ok to put the brushes and rollers in there if that's what you're using. Try an experiment - put a can of latex paint you no longer have any use for in the freezer for a couple days. Then thaw it and see how it works on some scrap lumber or drywall.

Old 04-04-06, 09:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The reason you got by without problems is you only ruined a small portion of paint and the bad effects were overrided by the good paint. But it is not a good practice and there is always the chance that you will have problems. Besides getting thick [even after thawing] frozen latex looses a lot of its bonding properties.

If plastic alone isn't enough to keep the brush/roller fresh you can still wrap it and put in the refrigerator - just not the freezer.

Old 04-04-06, 11:12 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Mark - Any idea how long a latex brush can be stored wrapped in plastic or foil? A couple of days/weeks?

Old 04-04-06, 01:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I very seldom store a wrapped latex tool, they are cheap and easy to clean and I LIKE CLEAN TOOLS

A lot will depend on the tempature. Lack of air is what keeps the paint on a wrapped tool from drying. Personally I wouldn't wrap a latex tool for more than a couple of days but like I said I almost always wash them or keep them in paint until I finish.

I have kept a wrapped oil brush in the little freezer part of my shop fridge for a week or so.

Old 04-04-06, 07:26 PM
S
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Hi Mark - Any idea how long a latex brush can be stored wrapped in plastic or foil? A couple of days/weeks?
It's performance will suffer as more time passes
You may be able to use it after a week, but it won't function the same
There will be a performance drop after one day
It might not be enough to bother a DIYer
(pros can clean their brushes multiple times during the day, just the keep them in good operating condition)
Usually after a few days of sitting (wrapped) it's skunked even for a DIYer

Old 04-05-06, 07:38 AM
I'm just a DIYer but while doing a reno, I use tray liners and wrap the liners (with paint)nin plastic garbage bags until I use them again. They can last up to a week. I'll occasionally stir everything up to keep it fresh. Some paints like primers dry quicker so I may not do that with them.

I often leave the roller sleeve soaked with paint in there. This only works with plastic sleeves.

I finally came to the conlusion that its so easy to clean brushes with a good brush comb and a spinner that I do it several times a day and every night. A clean brush is so much easier to work with. It takes maybe two minutes max.

If I need to occasionly use the brush in a day and don't want to clean it every time, I have a trim bucket with a magnet on it so I leave the brush hanging in paint. I put a wet towel over the bucket.

If I have a brush with oil paint on it that I occasionally use in a day, I wrap the bristles inside a latex glove and seal it with masking tape.

I have a five gallon plastic bucket with a 3inch circle in the lid so I can put roller sleeves and brushes through. Now I spin right at the sink in the house with no overspray. That really makes cleaning easier for me.

Just a hack DIY's process

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: