Smelly Bathroom Paint, Help!

Old 04-03-06, 08:18 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Smelly Bathroom Paint, Help!

Can someone help. I recently painted my bathroom with a semi-gloss, water based paint and let it dry a few days. I notice that whenever someone takes a shower, the paint starts smelling foul and if you rub your hand on the wall, the paint comes off. Has anyone experienced this before? What should I do?

thanks!!

Old 04-04-06, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
What type of paint was on the wall previously? Was the paint you used old? What kind of prep did you do? What brand of paint? sorry for so many questions

Old 04-04-06, 05:42 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The solution is to repaint with a quality bathroom paint
I'd recommend Zinsser's Perma-White off hand, as you won't need a primer with it

If you don't want a white bathroom, it can be tinted pastel or light colors
If you want it darker, I'd recommend priming with Zinsser's 1-2-3, then painting with a quality bathroom paint
I can recommend Moore's K&B from Ben Moore
I'm sure Sherwin Williams has a similar quality product

Stay clear of the econ-brands

Old 04-04-06, 06:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
First the walls/ceiling will need to be prepped. Any loose paint will need to be removed, no sense applying good paint over poorly bonded paint.

Old 04-04-06, 07:52 PM
Z
Smelly Paint...

The paint used was from Lowe's. It was called American Tradition. It was brand new paint. Not sure of the paint on the wall previously, looked like flat paint. Prep work done...basically wiped down the walls with a moist (not wet) cloth and allowed it to dry.

I did splash a little water on it this evening to see what it would do and basically white paint started running down the wall. I'm thinking maybe because it was the store brand (the least expensive) maybe it was just not a good quality.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-06, 06:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Typically big box stores don't sell the best paint but I don't understand why it hasn't dried. I would go back to lowes and complain, see what they say. It could be a bad batch of paint.

You are always better off using good paint - it applies and wears better. If the paint disolves when wet it may be difficult to paint over it. Wet new paint may also disolve the paint.

Depending on what lowes does for you [if anything] I would think that the best plan of attack would be to wash off the paint and then repaint with better paint.

wish you luck

Old 04-05-06, 09:32 AM
S
The pain of a poor paint job lasts much longer than the euphoria of buying cheap paint at a box store.......

Last edited by slickracer; 04-05-06 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-05-06, 09:45 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Hey slick, can I use that as my new sig?
Lol

marksr, I'm not sure the paint hasn't dried, I think it has
It's just not particularly good paint, and the moisture from the bath is washing it off

Like when you try and wash a spot off a wall with cheap white paint on it, the sponge gets all white
If you spill something liquid on it, the paint starts to run down in drips

If that's the case, I'd recommend a prime coat of Zinsser's Gardz
It's more for the chalky cheap paint then 1-2-3

Old 04-05-06, 02:50 PM
Z
Good Advice

Thanks for the advice! Except for the odor, it looks nice, lol. Gotta stay humorous about this type of stuff. Well, gonna prepare the walls good, prime them and paint with one of the paints recommended..and since the weather is also supposed to be foul this weekend, I won't be upset about not being able to spend my day off tanning (yeah right). Will let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-05-06, 03:00 PM
S
10-4 Sliftshift

Old 04-05-06, 04:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by slickshift
marksr, I'm not sure the paint hasn't dried, I think it has
It's just not particularly good paint, and the moisture from the bath is washing it off

I've seen this with cheap flat latex but never with enamel but anythings possible

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: