Patching and painting below-ground

Old 04-10-06, 02:53 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patching and painting below-ground

I need to patch and paint exterior foundation walls. The project includes a block/concrete basement staircase, which is about six feet below ground on one side. The below-ground section is bubbling, cracked and moldy/mossy. To me, it seems that without excavating and sealing the “ground side” of the staircase, any patching would only be a temporary fix.

Any suggestions?

Old 04-10-06, 03:32 PM
S
My take on your situation is that there is a moisture seepage situation on this wall.I would scrap down and remove all loose bubbled or flaky materials,wash the wall down with a TSP,bleach and water solution,let dry,patch any larger holes,cracks etc with hydraulic cement and paint with masonry paint such as Drylok.

Old 04-10-06, 05:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 738 Upvotes on 645 Posts
I agree, without fixing the source of the moisture problem it would be hard to stand behind any repairs. Sometimes regrading or moving downspouts is all that is needed but awfully hard to say for sure.

Old 04-10-06, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would proceed as above, and write a hefty disclaimer into this contract. If not, you could end up repainting this stairwell forever.

Old 04-10-06, 08:21 PM
S
My first post was written based on the assumption that you were looking for alternatives to excavation and sealing from the outside.I do agree that having such work done would be preferrable to any other sort of repair work and that follow up repairs would be likely needed otherwise.That said do not make you decision without getting multiple opinions from qualified contractors and professionals.Your original post does not give enough information or specifics for any sort of real determination of your needs nor would it be prudent to for you to make such a decision based on any other source than professionals directly involved in your specific situation.

Old 04-11-06, 09:07 AM
W
Originally Posted by spdavid
My first post was written based on the assumption that you were looking for alternatives to excavation and sealing from the outside.
Thanks! Yes, I was looking for an alternative to excavation. I mentioned excavation to the customers, but they don't want to spend that kind of money. This is an old house and it looks like the staircase has been patched many times. I think the customers will agree to a disclaimer in the contract.

Old 04-17-06, 10:49 AM
W
Would hydraulic cement also be good for patching holes in basement (block) walls?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: