Mobile home exterior paint.

Old 04-20-06, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile home exterior paint.

My girl friend wants to repaint the exterior of her mobile home due to the deterioration of the paint on the aluminum. It doesn't seem to be very " chaulky " and, where we have washed it, it seems that the surface should not be a problem accepting the new paint. The million dollar question is, what is the general consensus as to what type of paint to use and what type of finish? Such as gloss,semi gloss,or a satin finish. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-06, 08:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Use latex paint - it is more flexable than oil base which means it will hold up better as the metal expands and contracts with temp changes [wind too]

As for sheen everyone has their own personal preferences. I think satin or semi-gloss looks best but there is no big reason not to use flat or gloss.

It is good that you have cleaned the surface well, if you have any doubts about there still being some chaulk here and there add emulsa bond to the paint - cheap insurance to garuntee adhesion.

Old 04-21-06, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I second the motion about the emulsa bond. I allowed a drunk tenant who polishes off 18-packs a day, to paint one of our mobile homes, and believe it or not, the paint still looks like new, even on the hot southwest side, after at least 5 years. It may be 7 or 8! I bought him the emulsa bond and had him add it. I believe the paint is satin. I could be wrong, but I have always figured that the shinier a paint is the more the pores are closed, the better it can sheet water and probably will last longer. This trailer was painted a very attractive midnight blue with white trim. Looks very rich. (The drawback to glossy paint is...besides the reflection it produces... that when you DO have to paint again, you have to prep it for adhesion. But satin is sort of a good compromise I feel.

Another trailer was painted flat white and I don't know if it was painted in the direct hot sun (not good!), or the roller caused this, but it left moonscape-like tiny pock marks...blistering that popped... and the paint actually started to crack one year later! We asked the painter if he watered down the paint on us and he said no.

Old 04-22-06, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the info

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I guess it's safe to assume that a roller with a short nap is fine to paint it with. I was leaning towards spraying it but my little lady who owns the mobile home has the " a roller's fine" attitude.

Old 04-22-06, 08:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
90% [or more] of MHs are repainted using brush and roller. Although spraying will give a nicer finish it requires masking, spraying skills and you have to make sure the overspray doesn't make its way to any other property, cars, etc.

Using a good 1/2" nap roller cover will work fine.