Painting new Stucco (exterior)

Old 05-16-06, 02:03 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting new Stucco (exterior)

I built a cinder block planter and coated it with stucco last summer.
There has been sufficient time for it tu cure, I was going to paint it to match the house color, but I have never painted stucco. I happen to have an airless sprayer the kind with a paint hopper, not a paint bottle.

Question, do I need to do any special prep to raw stucco as it has never been painted or primed? Do I need to seal it with anything? Do I need to prime it? Do I need any special materials or paint, or am I just being paranoid?

One last issue is that this area gets full and intense SW sun all day. I'm worrried it will dry too quickly, can that be problematic?

Old 05-17-06, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Paint manufactures have recently come out with paint and primer specifically designed for masonary but for years [with good results] we have always used latex house paint - thin the first coat [about a pint per gal] with water and the second coat straight out of the can.

Stucco needs to be rolled to get a good job. If it is easier to spray and then back roll that is fine. Spraying alone will not work the paint into all the crevices and pores of the stucco.

I have heard of painters lightly spraying down masonary with water to allow the primer to obsorb and not dry to fast in the hot sun. In the S.E. I have never seen a need for this but it could be necessarry in your locale. You can buy better paint at a paint store [compared to big box] and also get better local advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: