Vinyl Shutters

Old 05-21-06, 03:40 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Vinyl Shutters

Can you paint shutters on a mobile home? Ours are faded and I have read there are vinyl shutters that cannot be repainted. Ours are only 5 years old so I cannot imagine they are the color moulded-through type since those are not suppose to fade.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-06, 04:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Vinyl can be painted, just make sure it is clean and use quality latex paint. Adding emulsa bond to the paint may help it adhere better [if you have any doubts]

Old 05-22-06, 12:05 PM
S
A second option (I'm not saying this is a good OR bad idea just mentioning this as an additional option) is spray paint that is specifically for plastics.Krylon has a line called Fusion.Be aware that spray paint specific for plastics is the only type you should consider and if that's not on the label then do not use it.If you can accept a glossy finish,are looking for a basic color not something that matches other paint etc and don't have too many shutters to paint this could be a consideration.Spray paint is a smoother finish and shutters are easier painted with spray.Obviously they would need to be very clean.This type of spray paint is carried at various hardware and home center stores although I'm not sure if big boxes would carry it due to it's limited appeal.I do know it is available through Ace hardware stores and if a store did not carry it they might be able to order it for you although you'd likely then be obligated to a case of 6 cans.

Old 05-24-06, 04:59 AM
K
We are using a paint gun so the color matches the shed trim that is being built. The paint we are using on the shed will be laytex, outdoor, satin. Is this a bad idea? I know there is no way to match a can of spray paint to the trim exactly nor could we order the same color of shutters. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-24-06, 05:16 AM
K
Here is a link to the shutters in their original state. This pic is from our home being hit by a tornado....

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...e/DCP_5908.gif

Old 05-24-06, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Exterior latex satin paint should be fine. Remember you always get better results with better paint. Usually the best paint is found at a paint store [not dept] and the higher cost is almost always negated by the better coverage and wear.

The shutters can be sprayed or brushed, your choice.