Behr Solid Latex Stain and Oil Based Primer

Old 05-22-06, 03:26 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Behr Solid Latex Stain and Oil Based Primer

Previous owner used Behr Exterior Solid latex stain on the Deck and railing 8 years ago. The paint has now blistered up in quite a few places. I love the color and wish to re-stain it with the same solid color.

I have been told by Behr and Home Depot to sand off peeling stain, to prime the weathered spots and rusty nail heads with Behr Oil Based Primer tinted to the color I wish. Then go over whole deck with the Latex.
Question is:
You can paint Latex over oil, but you can not paint oil over latex they say. Am I making a mistake by using oil based primer because it will be impossible not to get it on the old Latex paint still on the deck when I prime?

Old 05-23-06, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
There shouldn't be any problems with using the oil primer and top coating with latex.

I would suggest using a better brand of paint which can be found at most paint stores. Paint stores generally have both better material and more knowledgeable sales staff. They can also match most any color.

Old 05-23-06, 09:50 AM
G
Let me rephrase the question. You can paint latex on top of oil based but you can not paint oil-base on top of latex is what Home Depot is telling me.

Latex is already on the deck from 8 years ago. The rusty screw heads are an eye sore. How can I paint the oil-based primer on the screw heads and newly sanded bare spots without getting any paint on the old latex?

I have already purchased 2 gallons so I have to use Behr.

Old 05-23-06, 09:57 AM
D
Originally Posted by Gwenavier
I have already purchased 2 gallons so I have to use Behr.
Because you have it doesn't mean you have to use it. I know it's probably a waste of $$$ and you don't know what to do with it but you might be able to return it to HD and get something out of it. I don't know what their terms are but another Big Box store I know of will give you a discount for the next paint you get or you can give it to charity, etc. It's kinda like....if you chose the wrong color indoors and really hated it...would you just use it anyways? I wouldn't. I'm not saying Behr is good or bad but this is just my 2 cents....

Sorry for butting in!

Old 05-23-06, 10:14 AM
S
Gwenavier
You just dot the heads with oil
Any little slop over will be fine
Well, a little bit, not a lot

The newly sanded bare spots, they don't take primer if you are using a stain
Stains don't use primer

Also:
HD will take back the Behr

I would have to agree there are better choices for a deck
In fact, I am in shock it lasted as long as it did
I've never seen it last two years out here

Stains aren't supposed to peel either
Just wear down/off
Not sure what's up with that
I've heard that, I've heard people say the Behr stain peeled up
Weird

Old 05-23-06, 11:23 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Primer under paint is ok, primer under stain is not. Either you mixed up the details or HD gave you bad advice. Best to straighten that out before putting anything on a brush. I also agree that you could get better results taking the stuff you have back and buying a better product.

Old 05-23-06, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally stain requires no primer BUT sometimes [especially when using latex stain] light color stains need primer to prevent the tanins from bleeding through the stain. This is especially true when coating redwood or cedar a light color.

There are many times that a small amount of oil base is the approriate primer/sealer inbetween latex coats.

Home Depot [or any store] will take back the stain providing it hasn't been tinted. I know of no stores that will give refund on custom tints.

Old 05-23-06, 07:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I obviously was wrong about stain and primer and I thank mark for correcting me and helping Gwenavier get the best possible info.

Old 10-02-11, 09:31 AM
W
If using a Solid stain its not wise to use on the horizontals. It will peal, crack and flake off. The reason why is because SOLID stains DO NOT soak into the wood. There for a solid stain primer is needed semi transparent stains do soak into the wood and a primer is not needed.

Old 10-02-11, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a big difference between siding stain and deck stain. While you can use a deck stain on siding, you shouldn't use a siding stain on a deck. I've never had any issues with solid stains on decks if a deck stain was used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: