checked and flaking exterior paint repair or remove?

Old 05-23-06, 04:47 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
checked and flaking exterior paint repair or remove?

I have a house with an ancient paintjob. I'm prepairing to repaint on the long weekend (4th of July) in the coming weeks I'll be doing the prep work.

3/4ths of the house is stucco but the front facing the street is old vertical (cedar?) wood siding The wood is in OK shape but the house gets direct SW sun all day long so over time the paint has checked and flaked in some areas. I assume priming will be a good idea, but I expect some serious unevenness if/when I get into scraping the worst areas to get rid of the flaky parts.

*Is there any priming prepping technique recommended for getting this house to accept a new coat of paint that will not result in the same problem 3 months later?
*What do I fill this with or should I strip and sand to get it totally even the hard way?
*Is there a patch putty for exterior that can put up with this much sun?
*What primer is recommended?

I'm trying to do a cheap job this time out and plan to eventually replace the siding when this paintjob wears out since I only have to do the front of house.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-06, 06:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Assuming the proper quality materials are used, prep is very important to the life of a paint job.

As long as you remove all the loose paint you will have an ok surface to paint. obviously the more old that is removed the less there will be that can breakdown or loose adhesion later. It is usually not cost effective to remove all the deteriated paint. Sanding is a good way to minimize the effect of raw wood against multiple layers of remaining paint. You can use exterior spackling to hide the uneveness but I'm not real fond of it, especially in an area exposed to harsh weather.

It is usually recomended to use an oil base exterior wood primer on all raw wood. Also on any chalky areas where it isn't feasable to wash off All the chaulk. If a house has poor insulation and lack of vapour barrier it is often perferable to use a latex primer. Latex will breathe but it doesn't hide staining well and doesn't always adhere well to problematic surfaces.

Generally on a job such as yours I would first wash the siding, then scrape followed by possibly a power sanding. I would then prime all raw wood and any paint that I was concerned about adhesion. Finish with 1 [preferably 2] coats of good latex house paint.