maroon paint

Old 05-23-06, 08:42 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
maroon paint

hi all, i need help, started painting the living room with Ralph Lauren paint without using a primer, done with one wall but looks very uneven. i just read the sticky thread with the advice on how to paint dark colors. my question is can i prime the already painted wall and the other walls and simply start over, or do i have to somehow remove the fresh paint on that one wall and then prime and paint. thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-06, 04:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums

You can use primer over the freshly painted wall - no need to remove the fresh paint. I'm not sure that it will be of any benifit since you already have one coat of the color on it. If you are just painting the 1 wall, I would continue with the color coat.

I have only used ralph lauren paints a few times but if I remember correctly it isn't the best covering paint I've used but maybe it was just the crazy colors I've used it with.

Old 05-24-06, 04:40 AM
S
That would be normal
It won't even begin to look even for another coat or two
There's no way even the best paint would not look uneven with maroon after one coat

You can tint prime the other walls if you'd like, but you don't have to, it will (most likely) still take three coats minimum to look good

Rather than buying a gallon of primer, tinting it, and applying it
at this point, depending on how much RL you have left, I'd like to make a suggestion

Put a coat of RL up on the rest, consider that your "tinted primer"
Then have a local Sherwin Williams dealer tint some "Deep Color" (it's a specialty line by them) to the chip/color you want
They can match a chip, or put a few coats on a scrap, or, they probably have the chart there (if they are good lol)

If you don't have a SW dealer at all close by, my second for deep colors would be Ben Moore

For deep colors, the SW Deep Colors is mind bogglingly good

I wouldn't be surprised if it only took one coat of SW DC over the RL maroon
Even if it takes two, that's still less effort than one coat primer and three coats color (of which you could need three with the RL)

Old 05-24-06, 04:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by slickshift
Rather than buying a gallon of primer, tinting it, and applying it
at this point, depending on how much RL you have left, I'd like to make a suggestion
Put a coat of RL up on the rest, consider that your "tinted primer"
Then have a local Sherwin Williams dealer tint some "Deep Color" (it's a specialty line by them) to the chip/color you want
They can match a chip, or put a few coats on a scrap, or, they probably have the chart there (if they are good lol)
Great Idea!!

why didn't I think of that

Old 05-24-06, 05:21 PM
S
Originally Posted by marksr
why didn't I think of that

Actually, me being Ben Moore guy and you Sherwin Williams guy, it is pretty funny

That Deep Colors is some amazing stuff though
At least for those...you know...deep colors