Is there a right way to touch-up paint?

Old 05-26-06, 03:54 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a right way to touch-up paint?

We've just finished painting our house and there are a few spots on various walls we want to touch up. e.g. After the kitchen cabinets were installed, some of the walls were scoffed a little. I need to paint over the scoffs.

Should I thin the paint down first, so that it goes on more flat?

Should I use a roller or a just a brush to go over scoffed areas a second time?

Should I sand any areas where paint has peeled (as a result of one of the contractors using masking tape on a newly-painted wall)?

Thanks in advance,

Antun

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-06, 05:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
There is no single right way to touch up paint. While some surfaces and paints touch up best by feathering out the paint, others do better with just a quick swipe of paint. Texture, lighting and type/brand of paint along with what is being touched up all play a part in how the paint should be touched up.

Since you said the paint has peeled in spots, I assume it is latex enamel. Although the ragged edges will need sanding it is likely the area will need a little spackling, sand when dry, prime and then paint.

Since you need to cover the scuff marks it would probably be best to not thin the paint. Large areas often touch up best with a roller, applying a full coat where needed and then dry rolling the surrounding area to blend it in.

It is hard to advise not knowing all the particulars. You might want to just touch up everything, let it dry and then if any areas show address them then. If a wall has many spots to touch up it is often better to reroll the whole wall, it may not be neceassarry to cut it in.

Old 05-26-06, 05:45 PM
A
Thanks for the detailed response. I had not thought of spackling before painting over the peeled areas; that seems like a very good idea.

Take care,

Antun

Old 05-26-06, 07:10 PM
S
I like to use full strength paint on a roller and loaded what I would call medium (not as much as possible, but not lightly loaded)

Then a light touch outside the edge of the touch-up, working toward the scuff, with more pressure near the middle (the actual touch-up spot), and feather to light touch over the other side of the touch-up area
If the scuff was 2 inches, the touch-up could be 6 inches

Sometimes it's easier to use a medium or lightly loaded brush and feather it the same way, w/o leaving brush marks

It depends how bad the spot is and how well you can blend one or the other