Painting Double-Hung Windows

Old 05-30-06, 01:16 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Double-Hung Windows

I'm embarking on a new project, and need some advice. I live in a home built in 1951. The previous owners did some type of treatment to the woodwork to make it this ghastly, yellow-blonde color. I'm in the process of completely making over the master bedroom, and this will be my next step, painting the woodwork white enamel.

One of the other projects that I am going to *perhaps* do also, is painting the interior windows. We have been recaulking/glazing all of them, as they are not in bad shape, they still work great, other than they need a good painting.

They are double-hung windows, that have little, if any finish left on them. I understand I will probably need to prime them, but my biggest question is, do you paint in the side tracks? There is nothing there that would prevent me from doing so, but I didn't know if anyone had any experience with this?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-06, 01:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
If the track isn't made of metal you can paint it. Remember the more paint it has on it the bigger the risk of the window not sliding up and down easily.

The interior side of the windows shouldn't need any glazing. The outside of the window is where the glazing is. After removing all loose glazing, prime, then glaze and prime again.

Old 05-30-06, 01:49 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Great thanks! And yes, I did mean glazing the outside of the windows. What a process!!!! Thanks for your help.