Removing paint with heat gun?

Old 06-02-06, 08:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing paint with heat gun?

I am so sick of trying to scrape off old paint with a scraper or trying to use chemical paste, which is messy and somewhat ineffective. When I use the bent pole scraper, I always chip the plaster. I am considering using a heat gun to strip the paint off of my 80 year old plaster walls. Are these pretty effective? Are there any national chains that rent these things or should I buy? Does the paint come off pretty easily? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-06, 09:18 PM
B
Trying to remove a large area with a heat gun is just not going to be feasible especially on plaster walls. Best bet if you don't want to start over and replace the plaster with dry wall is to just scrape off any loose paint and paint over it. Never going to get it perfect

Old 06-03-06, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Heat guns are normally used to remove paint off of wood. I can't imagine trying to do a whole wall

I would think that scraping and skim coating the wall would be an easier option.

Old 06-03-06, 06:02 AM
S
I'm not Mr. Plaster, but I know you don't want to remove that paint with a heat gun

Old 06-03-06, 01:29 PM
no no no!!

good grief - if the paint is bonded that well, removing it doesn't make a lot of sense. And a heat gun on plaster is, well, bad news (I'll leave it at that). Like the guys said, scrape off the loose stuff, sand the rest lightly and wash, and skim coat to blend everything in.

is there something you're not telling us about these walls?